1. Default Mnt Rusmore to Grand Canyon via Wyoming and Utah

I am planning the road trip that takes me from South Dakota ( Mount Rushmore) to Yellowstone down through Utah to the Grand Canyon. Can anyone tell me how many miles this is roughly ? I want to hire an RV for this trip as will be travelling with my mum and gran ( 95 !). Would it be better to pick up an RV and start Grand Canyon end or is it just as east to start at the other end ( South Dakota) and can anyone recommend a good hire company ?

Default outline

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

You're looking at roughly a 1400 mile trip between those points. Its about 500 miles from Rapid City to Yellowstone, and another 900 miles to the Grand Canyon. 500 miles is about the most you should think about driving, and considering the ages of your travelers, its quite possible you'll be more comfortable traveling even less.

However, in addition to those miles, you'll also have to factor in some driving time to your RV pickup and drop off points. From the Grand Canyon, that will likely be Phoenix or Las Vegas, and for Mount Rushmore, you'll likely have to go all the way to Denver. Looking at Cruise America and El Monte, the two biggest RV rental companies, neither of them have an office in South Dakota.

I don't see any significant difference in the direction you travel, except it could impact your airfare and rv rental costs, so do a little shopping and see if there is a price advantage about going one way or the other.

Default Time and timing.

How much time do you have available for the trip ?

In addition to what Michael has already said it should also be noted that doing a one way trip will usually add quite a significant one way drop off fee for your rental and if you have the time available it might be worth doing a loop trip from Las Vegas, Salt lake city or Denver although of course that would add significant miles to your trip.

As for direction, all I can think of is that as you are travelling in the Spring it might pay off to visit Yellowstone later in your trip as it can remain quite wintry, even into June.

4. Default

Thanks, we have about 3 weeks. Yeah a loop does seem to make sense more sense now from what you've said. There will be 2 of us driving. We have to get from Memphis ( my mum wants to see Graceland....). We have 4 weeks all together. we fancied travelling by greyhound for a bit so I guess we'll get it from Memphis to Denver although I know it will take a couple of days. Thanks for tip about doing Yellowstone later we plan the trip for the whole month of May so will end up there at end of May. So do you know what the whole loop will be roughly in mileage if we include all those things, am I right in thinking it will be about twice what planned originally so about 3000 miles ?

Default roughly

3,000 miles for a loop sounds about right, but you can use Google maps or one of the other online mapping programs to come up with good estimate yourself. The driving times on those programs are always very optimistic, but they are very accurate for mileages.

What is the reason for wanting to use Greyhound? Its not a very luxurious way to travel and I can't imagine it would be the most comfortable way for a 95 year old to get across the country.

Default Outline.

If you were to start out from Denver with the RV then Yes by the time you add on detours etc you will be getting close to 3000 miles for that part of your trip. With 3 weeks to cover the miles you should be able to make it a fairly relaxed pace and on average would only need to cover 140 miles a day.

Here is a very basic loop that you could work from and would recommend you look around the RTA forums for lots of info on places near to or within the blue line to see what might appeal to you, plus you will find all aspects of planning including RV info in the tool bar at the top of page.

You can use the map tools to zoom in and out, left or right for a more detailed look.

There are some amazing National parks in the area and you might find the National park map locator a useful tool. Zion, Bryce canyon, Arches and Canyonlands RMNP are just a few that you could choose from alongside those that you have mentioned.

7. Default

That's great thanks. It's my nan's idea about the Greyhound.....

8. Default

hi,

Planning to RV it from Denver back to Denver taking in Mnt rushmore, Yllwstne, Salt Lake, Grand Canyon. Can anyone recommend a good hire company in Denver and any tips eg: what other costs should I look out for when hiring, what to check etc. I have been told at a rough guess that the loop is roughly 3000miles is this right ?.

Oh yeah also what is the weather like in these places during May ?
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 04-20-2010 at 05:57 AM. Reason: Merged - Please do not create multiple threads about the same trip

Default RV rental..

It is worth searching the Internet for deals using the words "Denver RV rentals" and see what deals are available. I travelled from Denver with Cruise America as they had a good deal on at the time and I was very pleased with the service.

Additional costs may include bedding and kitchen kits, extra mileage, generator and propane use, [normally minimal] and possible Insurance waiver fees. You will be given these options to select when filling out an on line booking form which will give you an indication of overall cost, you will then have to leave a refundable security deposit of around $500 on departure. Away from the rental costs, campground fees and high gas costs with a return of 9 to 10 mpg on average are other expenses to consider.

You can expect any and all types of weather but Yellowstone can still be quite wintry and see night time temps below freezing and not all the services will be operational with possible snowfall, but you could also see Spring tyoe weather and reasonable day time temps. You can get an idea by searching around the Yellowstone site and can do the same for the Grand canyon which should be better but still chilly at night at high elevation.