1. Default Looking for advice on Colorado and Utah

Am driving Toronto to BC this summer. Plan on driving straight to Colorado Springs, then 3-4 days in Colorado and Utah, before heading off to BC. I've checked out the scenic byway website, state tourism sites, etc. Am looking for personal observations and advice on what I might want to focus on...3-4 days really isn't enough. Factors:

- traveling with dog (40 lbs); off-leash areas highly desired
    - want to stay on pavement most of the time, but willing to go dirt for the right sidetrip (looking at Gold Trails in Colorado)
    - not fussed on fancy accommodations, motels fine
    - looking for unique sights, scenery
    - enjoy relatively easy-to-moderate hiking, 1-3 hours
    - traveling by reliable car (Honda)
    - will leave Col Springs around lunch 4 July, and spend night in Ogden, Utah 8 July...in between is all up in the air

Thanks in advance. I know there's lots to see in neighbouring states, and I've seen some of it. But previous road trips have tended to spend a lot of time in the car while trying to see too much. Am hoping to change that habit this time.

Mike

Default Plenty to choose from.

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

There are just so many options in that area of things to see and do I would recommend taking a look around forums for ideas, with a good map to hand.

My own trip in the area might offer some ideas and with the time you have available I would recommend heading across on US 50 through Currecanti national rec area to Black canyon to Montrose. A detour South would take you down the "Million dollar highway" or North to the Colorado NM at Grand junction and either way I would recommend heading towards Moab for Arches and Canyonlands NP's. Garden of the gods, Pikes peak, RMNP are just a few of many other options.

Near to Colorado Springs you could choose from Garden of the gods and Cave of the winds and head to Pikes peak but you might want to check out "Cripple creek" and Victor" nearby as a side trip.

I have no idea about travelling with a dog so you would have to check out the regs on each place before travelling.

Plan on driving straight to Colorado Springs
    Please tell me you don't mean straight through ! You do know thats a 3 day drive ? [especially with a dog to exercise]. You also have a good 2 days of driving to BC from Ogden
    Last edited by Southwest Dave; 03-13-2010 at 09:02 AM. Reason: Added comment.

- traveling with dog (40 lbs); off-leash areas highly desired
    - not fussed on fancy accommodations, motels fine
    Motel 6 is pet-friendly. I believe all of their properties allow one pet at no additional charge. They certainly aren't fancy but they have the basics and are generally kept up fairly well. US national park pet regulations are published on each park's site, go to www.nps.gov. If you can't find the regulations, use the search facility, search that park for "pets".

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Southwest Dave View Post
    Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

Please tell me you don't mean straight through ! You do know thats a 3 day drive ? [especially with a dog to exercise]. You also have a good 2 days of driving to BC from Ogden
    LOL

Not at all. Overnighting in Cleveland, St. Louis, and somewhere between Kansas City and the Springs.

I was more looking for first hand knowledge, tips, and the like. Google is wonderful thing - tons of ideas, but parsing it down to the best takes more effort.

The more I look at this, the more I'm thinking go straight to Utah and spend 3 days there. I've seen lots of Rockies from Alaska to Idaho, but haven't seen the landscapes of Utah. Looks like there's ton to see there.

You could spend 2 weeks in Utah and still have stuff to see!

About a year ago, I did a quick "driveby" of the major Southern Utah sights. In 4 days, I drove through Coral Pink, Zion, Bryce, Capitol Reef, Arches, Canyonlands (both parts), Natural Bridges, and Monument Valley - stopping only to take pictures, not getting more than a few hundred yards from my truck. I was on the go from about 8 am to 6 pm each day. I *WILL* be going back someday to further explore most of those.

6. Default

Thanks glc, that's what i'm scared of - rushing it. I may be better off selecting three parks/areas and spending a day in each. I get up around 5:30, probably earlier driving west, so I'll get my hiking in before the midday heat hits, then drive for the afternoon to the next spot.