Thread: NC to PEI

1. Default NC to PEI

I found this forum and I hope that it will help with planning for our summer trip to PEI in July this year. We have never been on a honeymoon and we have been waiting for 9 years!

We are driving the east coast and plan to take the trip slow and steady about 3-4 days on the road each way. Don't want to burn him out driving :0)

I am looking to have the best trip ever because I don't want to wait another 9 years! We are looking for some interesting sites, nice inexpensive places to stay (I don't like dropping a lot of money on a bed but it has to be a decent place), yummy places to eat!

2. Default

You will probably make at least one stop before making it this far, but Machias, Maine is a nice spot to stop and spend the night prior to crossing the border into Canada in Calais. It will leave you less than an hour from the US/CA border with about a 5 hour drive before you hit the bridge onto PEI. Helens Diner, right in Machias, is a great place to grab breakfast before hitting the road. They also have an awesome selection of homemade pies!

Once you're in PEI, depending on where you are staying, check out Lakeside, its a tiny little community with a huge beautiful beach that is typically pretty quiet. You can walk in the morning for miles and not see anyone. If you're into golf, Crowbush has a golfing resort there, but we typically rent a house near the beach.

For good eats on the island, check out Dalvay-by-the-Sea or Inn at Bay Fortune. Both are pricey but well worth the money. We usually do most of our own cooking when on vacation on PEI due to the abundance of fresh seafood.

Prince Edward Island Preserve Company and Greenwich Dunes Provincial Park are both nice day trips. The park has quite a few nature trails, some floating walkways and ends at a huge beach, that due to the long walk in, is almost always nearly deserted.

Good luck on your trip, PEI is beautiful, I'm sure you'll enjoy it there.

Tucson, AZ

Default Charlotte to Charlottetown

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

This drive is just a shade under 1500 miles by the most direct route, so trying to make it in 3 days would, I'm afraid, be the limit on how fast you could do it in while making just a few quick stops along the way and not arriving burned out. Four days each way would allow for some significant sight seeing. For places to see as you drive up the east coast, check here, and for possible stops in New England, check here..

Quote Originally Posted by NC Jenn View Post
    We are looking for some interesting sites
    nice inexpensive places to stay
    yummy places to eat!
    request a visitor's guide for 2010 at for PEI.

From NC you may want to make a couple of stops
    Hershey Pennsylvania, visit the chocolate factory
    History in Gettysburg,
    Caverns in Virginia,
    A little off the beaten path but a nice find is Rhode Island Newport Mansions,

We are looking for some interesting sites
    While on PEI - Depending on your interests and keeping with the budget....
    Windmills both East Point or North Cape,
    Lighthouse trips and tours
    The bottle house, recycled project,
    Mini Mill factory,
    A good Ceilidh always portrays Island life
    By donation at, New Glasgow Country Gardens
    The Anne of Green Gables Sites
    Province House Charlottetown, The Fathers of Confederation
    Peake's Key water front
    Pei Preserve Comp,
    High Tea, Grandma's Afternoon Tea room,
    Walks on all our fine beaches
    Deep Sea Fishing - around $25 a person
    Buskers on a walking tour of Charlottetown
    mini golf, antique shops, and carriage rides - its all here

nice inexpensive places to stay!
    Have a look at and search for places to stay by price and location
    two I will recommend are,
    Trailside B&B $60, in Winsloe.
    Elizabeth's B&B around $50, in Statford,

And last...yummy places to eat!
    St.Peter's Bay.. stop for fish and chips at "Rick's" yes a must stop
    By the Bay in North Rustico, family and affordable
    As well Amanda's In North Rustico, family and affordable
    China Garden, Charlottetown on Queen's st, good and easy on the budget
    All the lobster suppers will be the same cost and the two best choices are
    St. Anne's Church they now have 5 course as well
    New Glasgow Lobster Suppers
    For fine dinning, The Olde Mill Restaurant - reasonable priced and great food

For a treat - Cows ice cream around the Island, & Frosty Treats in Kensington

There, I know I'll think of more after I close off but this is a good few days.