Default Inexpensive laptop holder, usable in different vehicles

Ladies and gents,

I've pondered adding a laptop holder to my pickup truck's cab in view of the planned July 2010 RoadTrip and the hoped-for January 2011 RoadTrip. I've seen a number of models found by a few minutes on Google and it's clear there are many fine but expensive units out there. Some are even close to a laptop's cost themselves.

No, I will not be watching DVDs or surfing the web while driving. I've used my laptop from the driver's seat while stopped any number of times and the way the steering wheel and console are configured, it's fairly uncomfortable to rest the laptop upon either, and I always manage to blow the horn a bunch when I rest it on the steering wheel.

If anybody has a line on a unit for a 2002 Ford pickup (F350) or particularly a universal unit which might be mounted in my wife's 2010 Equinox as well, please so advise.

If I can't find something for much less than what I saw today, I'll just bag that idea altogether.

Foy

The pros use a Jotto Desk. Not cheap.

Default I've always liked this company's products

Back when I wrote about this stuff for a living -- I liked this company's products.

Mark

Thanks for the replies from the experts. I appreciate it.

It's looking like there is really not much, if anything, on the cheap. There's one I can drill/mount onto the console, but between its $120 cost, having to booger up my console, and the fact that this is not going to be in regular use, it's "a bridge too far".

Foy

Default $35 -- Parked?

Foy,

Obviously this product won't work for driving -- but it is only $35 and it might be a good solution for you.

If you're thinking about something a bit more custom -- these brackets are well-built and allow quite a bit of customization....

The other option that you might consider is one of the seat-mounted desks -- they sit in the passenger seat and come in a variety of configurations...

Mark

Not exactly for using in vehicles, but my sister got me one of these for Christmas. I really like it, I can kick back in a recliner with my netbook.

Default Nice!

Thanks glc. And thanks to you, too, Mark, for your ideas.

For her recent birthday, my wife received a similar appliance, but it's plastic, hollow, and has a small fan inside for the purpose of dissipating the heat which most laptops produce uncomfortable amounts of. The fan pulls the heat from the bottom of the laptop and directs it away from the lap and belly of the user.

I think one of those ventilating laptop pads (or, actually, my wife's very own unit) and a small beanbag chair plopped on my truck's console and a couple of bungees will constitute my mobile laptop stand.

You can't hide money, and you can't defeat redneck engineering.

Foy
    Last edited by Foy; 04-02-2010 at 12:29 PM. Reason: Added thanks to Mark, whose reply I'd overlooked