Hello everyone :-)
As you can tell from my name I am quite the novice when it comes to road-trips. I have been to NY and NJ in the past but never anywhere else in America.
I am planning a road trip from the NY area down to the Florida Keys with my girlfriend. We want to go to the obvious sites such as Philadelphia and then a trip to the White House but then we're pretty free for about 7 days.
I've had a look on some other posts on here as there seems to be alot about the East Coast trip, but I am hoping not to spend too long actually on the coast and am looking for visits more 'inland' so to speak.
A few questions I have (which I'm sure will increase in the future!) at the moment are:
1. Is there any particular place on the Florida Keys that is 'better' than the others in terms of beauty, scenary etc. We've looked at Key West and that looks gorgeous but dont know much about the others.
2. I tend to use booking.com to book most accomodation when I go away and obviously this way you can scout around and get the best deal, however I think part of the fun could be just stopping wherever. Does it tend to be more expensive if you do it the latter way and just find a room there? Obviously the big places like NY will be booked beforehand.
3. Are any of the national parks worth going to for just one night or do they need more time to explore? And are there any not too far from the coast that are worth visiting? I loved the look of the Smoky Mountains but think they are slightly too far in.
4. Does anyone have any recommendations in terms of money saving on food and daily spending? I think a cool box might work well for food in the car which we can stock up on things. Obviously this will be a fantastic trip (hopefully!) and dont want to worry about money too much, so small money saving tips could mean we get more spending money in other places.
5. (last question for now, I promise) I've read alot about car rentals and that non are necassily better than others and I've looked at some quotes but do they include all the fees, especially if we choose the pay now option. Or should we expect to get additional fees on collection/delivery? I think we will be collecting and delivering at different airports which I imagine will incur a fee in itself!
Thank you, I hope some people who have experienced this can give us some guidance. I've have had, and will continue to have, some fantastic reads on here.
Best wishes everyone :-)