Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Vegas Grand Canyon and Zion

Hi everyone

Heading this September to Vegas for a couple of days and then would like to do Grand Canyon, Zion and maybe Scottsdale. Full trip 2 weeks. Am I looking to do too much and what order should I do things. Zion probably the most important. Any advice welcome.

Default Popular circle.

Hi and welcome back.

This is a very popular area and you will find lots of options by searching through the forums but to answer your question, no not to much at all.

With 2 weeks a few places of interest that you could visit as well as Zion and GC [maybe Scottsdale] would be Bryce canyon, Lake Powell, Antelope canyon, Monument valley and Hoover dam in that order either way around. A side trip to Death valley is highly recommended for it's fascinating landscape as another possibility. A lot will depend on what pace you want to set yourself but you could certainly see all those places with relative ease so have a look around the RTA pages and let us know if new questions arise.

Sounds similar to the trip we are planning in July. We are planning quite a bit of time chilling out so will be spending the bulk of our time in Scottsdale and Las Vegas with detours to Zion, Bryce and Lake Powell. Can't speak from much experience as the only place we have been before is Vegas with an day trip to the Canyon by air. That was pretty spectacular but we decided that it was too expensive this time with four of us and that the kids might not like the small plane.

There seems to be loads to do in this area but I guess it depends on your circumstances, whether you are a couple, family etc. I fancied checking out the spas in Scottsdale but was a bit taken aback at the prices (which I didn't check until after we booked our hotel). The horse-riding looks good and I have found quite a few places that do this on the net both in Scottsdale and around Zion and Bryce. Don't know if anyone has any feedback on whether these are worthwhile trips. We're also planning to visit the Wildwest town and the railroad place in Scottsdale which sound a bit cheesy but I think will be fun with the kids.

4. Default

We are flying into Phoenix and hope to stay there or Scottsdale for approx 4 days. Then move on to Zion for the same time. Grand Canyon next (probably south rim) for a couple of days and finally a few days in Vegas flying home from there to Northern Ireland. How does this sound to the experienced trippers or am I getting it all wrong with my times in each place. Looking for any advice I can get. e.g distances between the different areas.

Default illogical

Zion is north of the Grand Canyon, and also much closer to Las Vegas than GC, so your current route plans don't make much sense.

You basically have to drive right by the Grand Canyon to get to Zion from Phoenix/Scottsdale, so rather than driving by and then doubling back, just hit GC first, continue to Zion. From Zion its an easy 3 hour trip back to Vegas via iI-15.

I good paper map is essential, imho, for getting the basics of a roadtrip route sorted out, however, online programs, like googlemaps, can also be very helpful in giving you distance estimates and route suggestions.

It's about a 5 hour drive from Phoenix to the Grand Canyon south rim, 7 hours to the north rim. From the south rim to Zion is about 6 hours, from the north rim to Zion is about 3.5 hours. If you want to do both rims, it's about 4.5 hours to get between them.

Default Like this perhaps.

For visiting the South rim of the Grand canyon and to Zion the route would look something like this.

Use the map tools to zoom in and out, left to right].

A couple of days at the GC would be fine, as would 4 day's at Zion but I would consider 3 day's at Zion and either spending a night around Page and perhaps visit Antelope canyon and/or Lake Powell or another option would be to spend a night at Bryce canyon by heading up US 89 to scenic 12, it's an incredible landscape with great views of the red rock spires and one that I would recommend.

8. Default September road trip

Hi there
    Have got flights booked from Northern Ireland and have always found people here helpful. Flying into Phoenix and leaving from Las Vegas 2 weeks later. I would like to spend time in Phoenix/Scottsdale, Winslow, Zion (Springdale) and Grand Canyon. However, I am at a loss as to which way to do the trip and really how long to spend in each place. Has anybody any ideas please. I think Winslow may be an in and out and Vegas would probably be 3 days at the most. Looking for suggestions.
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 04-25-2010 at 06:37 AM. Reason: Merged - Please do not create multiple threads about the same trip

I'm sorry, but after the very detailed help you've been given with this trip so far, I'm a little confused as to how you are still at a loss as to how to do this trip. Dave's even provided a map to provide an exceptionally detailed suggestion.

Obviously, deciding what the right amount of time can be a little tricky, but we've even provided some suggestions in that regard too. But really, when it comes down to it, it really depends on your priorities and the pace at which you like to travel. With 2 weeks, you certainly can visit all of the places you've listed, and you shouldn't have to leave anything out, unless you feel like you have to spend at least a couple days in every place you want to go.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that it sounds like you're asking questions that have already been answered, so I'm not sure what else you are looking for. If there is a specific part that you're confused about, or if there is something with the advice you've received so far that you don't understand, then by all means ask, but I think we'll need more guidance about the guidance you'd like.

10. Default Zion to Grand Canyon

Thanks to people on this forum I have more or less got my route sorted for next week. I am going from Zion to Grand Canyon to Vegas. When I leave Zion, which rim of the Canyon would you recommend I go to and in which town would it be best to stay for a few days. Grateful for any help as usual.

Thank you
    Last edited by AZBuck; 09-07-2010 at 01:20 PM. Reason: Merged with previous posts. Please do not start multiple threads for the same trip.