Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default I-70 Closed in Colorado's Glenwood Canyon

Another rockslide has shutdown a busy interstate, this time out west.

I-70 in Colorado is closed between Glenwood Springs and Dotsero because of this mess:
    GlenwoodRockSlid&#10.jpg

About 20 Boulders, some as large as 66 tons fell onto the freeway, busting large holes in both lanes of the roadway. CDOT says it will take them a few days just to figure out a repair plan, and it won't reopen "anytime soon"

The detour options are to take US-40 through Steamboat Springs or go down to US-50, but anyone looking at a cross country trip will generally be better off taking I-80 through Wyoming or possibly I-40 through New Mexico.

Default Yikes !

That's not good and looking at the map no short way around it, especially as Independence pass doesn't normally open untill May I believe !

To think everyone here in the UK are moaning about pot holes in the road after the winter freeze !

Looks like you can do this - it's 35 miles longer and probably about 2 more hours:

East to west - get off I-70 in Limon and take US-24 to Colorado Springs. From there, take CO-115 to US-50 and take that to Grand Junction. Taking US-40 is a LOT longer.

Quote Originally Posted by glc View Post
    Looks like you can do this - it's 35 miles longer and probably about 2 more hours:

East to west - get off I-70 in Limon and take US-24 to Colorado Springs. From there, take CO-115 to US-50 and take that to Grand Junction. Taking US-40 is a LOT longer.
    That's a good route if you are heading for Grand Junction or Southern Utah. US 40 isn't bad if your destination is Northern Utah, but I-80 across Wyoming would be faster.

Falling rocks are a fact of life in the Colorado mountains. The good news is that this slide didn't come down on top of anyone.

Right - I was looking at it from the standpoint of someone going cross-country on I-70.

Default That's big !

Rockery stone, free to collector !!

That's quite some "dent" in the road.

Not to diminish the lost of life in that freak accident, thankfully, that was a relatively small rockslide and US-40 remains open, so there's not an additional headache for those still trying to travel through the region.

Reports this morning indicate that one lane of I-70 in each direction may be opened this afternoon.

I-70 is now open with one lane in each direction according to the Colorado Department of Transportation. Delays are expected.