Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default WI to NC next week.

My husband and I are planning to drive to NC to visit family. We are taking 2 days to drive there and and 2 days to drive back. I would like to stop at a few interesting sites on the way there and back. Any suggestions?

Default big targets

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

WI and NC are two very big targets. Kenosha to the Smokey Mountains is on the edge of what could be done in one long day, while something like Superior to the Outer Banks is really 3 days worth of driving and would be a completely different route.

So, some specifics would be a big help. It would also be good to know what sorts of things you find interesting and enjoyable.

3. Default

We would be leaving from Madison, Wi and heading towards Mount Gilead, NC. My husband and I like anything historical or scenic (not big into amusement parks or any attractions like that). Since our totatl trip is not that long (leaving wed night and getting back monday), I am wondering what would be worth checking out.

What time Wednesday night are you leaving, and how far are you planning on driving that night? When are you leaving from down there and what time are you planning on being back Monday?

5. Default

We plan on leaving around 5 or 6 pm wed (husband works 3rd shift night before, since he will sleep during the day, he will drive during the night). We plan on stopping to rest somewhere thurs around noon maybe?. We will be staying with family fri and sat night. We will be leaving sun morning and hope to be back home by mon evening.

Default Last Leg First

This is one of the reasons we start by asking questions rather than just jumping in and giving random answers to generic questions. The first thing you'll have to figure out is how you're going to end your trip. There are a couple of major road blockages in the Tennessee/North Carolina area and the normal routing(s) over the mountains between Knoxville and Charlotte are not going to be available to you. So you should have a read through the discussion linked to above and let us know which route you would prefer over the mountains or any preferences you have for that leg of your trip. They will affect choices for the route upstream towards Madison as well. One thing that you should keep in mind is that many motels will have check-in times starting after lunch, so you may, in some circumstance, not be able to get a room much before 1:00 or 2:00 in the afternoon.

AZBuck

You are looking at about a 950 mile drive - which is an easy 2 day drive. May I suggest that instead of leaving Wednesday evening, you leave sometime after midnight, so when you reach a logical stopping point for the night, it will be during "normal" hours when you can check in to a hotel? I'd plan it so you are through Chicago before morning rush hour.

Default 3rd shifting

I've worked 3rd shift at enough times in my life to know that it does make for some interesting challenges on a trip like this.

A lot of what will work best for you will depend on how he specifically deals with the challenges of working overnights. If he typically sleeps when he gets home in the morning, or if he typically sleeps in the afternoon, waking up in time to go to work. Also, how he deals with weekends -shifting back to a normal schedule, or remaining up overnights- will all play a roll in what will work best for you.

Even though he is used to being up overnight, I wouldn't recommend trying to drive all night. Unlike being at work, driving you are going to be surrounded by darkness and headlights, not the bright lights of a typical work place. Plus, you won't be used to being awake, so presumably that means you're going to have to sleep in car. And of course, trying to be in a car for 18 straight hours (6pm-noon) just isn't a good idea, even in ideal/daylight circumstances.

What I would likely do based on what you've said so far is leave Wednesday evening, but instead of trying to drive through till noon the next days, I'd plan to find a motel in the early morning hours (midnights-2ish). There are several advantages to this. It will start to allow him to transition back to normal hours, which you'll want to enjoy the rest of your time on the road - so you're both awake to enjoy it! That will be early enough where you can both get some sleep, without being too pressed by a normal 11 am-ish check out time. You'll avoid the "too early to check in" problem that was previously mentioned. Its also safer, since anytime you're driving (but especially overnight) its a good idea to have a second person awake keeping tabs on the driver.

As far as what to see, a few things that might appeal to you Mammoth Cave in Kentucky is not too far out of your way. New River Gorge in West Virginia could also be worked into your trip. And Obviously, you won't be far from Smokey Mountains NP at your destination. You've also got a several Distilleries that you might look at exploring, and there are a few civil war battle fields in that area.

That's a very good idea. 6 hours will get you to Indy. With the time zone change, if you leave Madison at 6pm, you should get there around 1am. You certainly won't be missing out on any sights. There's plenty of chain hotels off the beltway, especially near the airport.

10. Default

I may suggest to my husband about leaving maybe after midnight. Since he does very well adjusting his sleep schedule with working 3rd shift, that might work also. He just wants to be out of chicago before the morning rush hour.