Default Insane Roadtrip over Spring Break

Leave Arkansas going north up highway 71, go thru Kansas City and get onto I-29, take it up to sioux falls. Get onto I-90, and follow it all the way to Seattle. Take I-5 down to portland, then take some road (probably 16) to the coast where we get on 101, ride that all the way into san francisco, cross the golden gate then head to las vegas via I-5, highway 15, and I-15. Leave Vegas on 93 to pass the hoover dam, then hook up with I-40. Take that to flagstaff where we take 89 to 160 to go visit the four corners. Then head back down via 64 and 550 where we meet back up with I-40 in Albequerquie. Then we take that thru oklahoma city all the way back to Arkansas. Mapquest gauges it at about 5,400 miles of driving with about 85 hours of driving time in this 10 day span!! (I hope i listed all those roads right, knowing me some might be off...)

This trip consists of 3 college guys and as most of you will probably advise against, it will be crammed into 10 days. It will be 10 intensely busy days crammed with so much to do and so many sights to see. We will probably be spending one day in seattle, beyond that every other sight and city is debatable as to how much interest we will show it. The plan in mainly camping/sleeping in car, with a little bit of couchsurfing and crashing at friends places.

Our roadtrip is less about a set destination and more about living on the road seeing crazy sights and doing crazy things for a week. Seeing at much as possible will be key, but we do know there will not be time for everything. At this point the main source of a travel guide is roadsideamerica.com (goal is to hit 100 interesting sights and get loads of pictures), that website has some pretty great stuff! This will also rack on an abundance of extra hours to our travel time, as we will make lots of stops, but for the most part they will be kind of quick. If you are well versed in any of these routes, give me a headups on what to look for? Or if you know any great, not too far out of the way scenic routes that would be cool too, Interstate is great for speed but not always the best view, haha! Or if you know of any small towns along this route that are just special? We have some big cities to get lost in but still trying to assemble some great small towns to explore as well.

Get back to me soon, I have planned alot of it already, but still alot of work in progress... We are going from March 19th-28th.

Default Insane indeed !

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

This trip consists of 3 college guys and as most of you will probably advise against, it will be crammed into 10 days.
    You are right ! Nothing to do with the fact that you are college guys, just that covering 5,400 miles [which will turn out to be more with detours into Cities etc] over 10 days and hope to sight see is not realistic.

Mapquests estimate of 85 hours is also unrealistic as most of them are, they don't have the need to fill with gas, eat food go to the bathroom, stretch the legs or have to combat travel congestion. If you do the maths it would mean averaging just under 65 mph from the moment you turn the key to the moment you turn it off again, impossible unless you see close to triple digit figures on your speedo at times, which is a big no no !

I would seriously cut back or find more time, if not forget about sight seeing and spend 10 hours a day in a car and do your sight seeing through the windscreen of your car.
    Last edited by Southwest Dave; 03-08-2010 at 09:27 AM.

In November of 2008 me and a friend went through the southeast from PA in 4 days during our senior year of college. (check the road trip field report under the title "road trip guys") we did about 700 miles a day for each day. we had no time to sight see. we got stuck in traffic in Atlanta, which you may find in seattle, san francisco, and las vegas. there was simply no time to do anything but live on the road, which we were completely prepared for and set up to do again in august. we were on the road from sun up to sun down on this past trip and could only stop at rest areas, state welcome centers, gas stations, and a place to crash at the end of the day.

also sleeping in a car is going to be rough for any number of days especially if there are 3 people. good rest is the key to a speed trip such as this one. we were both exhausted from the drive. the one thing you wanted most was a good night's sleep before continuing.

I fully feel your M.O. here and I encourage it safely. Whatever "crazy things" you plan you have to be prepared to wake up from at 6am without ill effects if you plan to see anything other than the places you stop for the night and rest areas for this trip. I'm interested to see how this turns out.

Default What's the Point?

As others have pointed out, you can do this, but it will take every minute you have available just for the driving. If you really only have 10 days total, and you plan on spending a day in Seattle, and even a minimum of a day being minimally polite to the friends and others who will be giving you occasional lodging, then you are trying to drive a minimum of 5,500 in 8 days or about 700 miles a day. Again, yes you can do this but your days will NOT be "intensely busy days crammed with so much to do and so many sights to see", they will be grueling marathons of driving, driving, and more driving with no time to stop and see anything. If the point of this adventure is to see how long you can stand each other while cooped up in a 5' x 5' x 4' box, then go for it. If the point of this trip is to see and do anything other than sit and occasionally sleep, then it needs to be cut back.

AZBuck

Longer Post, read if you are interested and want to help with the trip:

Its good to get feedback, but like I previously noted.. I already know the trip in itself will be insane and difficult. My primary purpose of this post is to get feedback about the routes, towns, cities, and sights to see in all these places! (and for those that doubt, dont worry we will see sights, many many wonderful sights!) But since alot of you still think its a bad idea, let me tell you about my excitment for the trip and what I have in mind:

We will see ALOT of sights, as the primary purpose of the trip is based off Roadsideamerica.com sights. Mapping out the route, we plan to make frequent stops daily to check out these sights. However if some are lame, then they will become real quick stops as we get back on the road to watch our time!

With the itenerary to leave friday march 19th at 2pm, and arrive back sunday march 28th before midnight, we have a total of 226 hours to work with. The main route has a projected 85 hour drive time, but like I said I take into consideration that we will be racking on a good bit more hours on top of this. So I am willing to extimate our time on the road around 120 hours, but that also includes all of the roadside stops and also some shift driving, as we will not have enough time to spare a full 8 hour stop every night, we will trade drivers as some sleep to maximize travel time. However if we are all too tired we will be safe about it and not do that night driving, we will just have to find time later to make up for it, haha...

But the trip itself, the driving, looking out the window into the fields or mountains or towns is what excites me! I absolutely love to be in a car, and if I have some good music and a great scene to look at it is a spiritually higtening expereince, where my eyes monitor the road for safety, but my mind floats into the perfect state of content, and my heart is full of joy!

Just this last weekend I took a solo trip for a total of 1,250 miles in 52 hours, which was an average of 575 miles a day. I did all this and still managed to rack in 13 hours of snowboarding between friday night, and practically all day saturday! Upon a high mile average I was able to find plenty of time for recreation and I even got two good nights of rest in the front seat of my car, haha! I was so exhausted at each days end that I slept soundly untill my alarm went off the next morning.

I do believe with my odd obsession of being on the road, some of you may relate to me, but many of you may still call this a bad idea. Anyway you want to call it, thats okay, we all have our own oppinions and some things like that never change.

But back to the main point: One of you said earlier, the only thing you think we may be seeing is where we sleep, with that in mind I am up for any and every suggestion of great places to sleep along this route, like any amazing views of nature (in a forrest, on a beach, in a desert, on the edge of a mountain) or and hidden treasure small towns that would just highten our adventure? Anyway, please continue to respond, I highly appreciate and value all of your feedback!!!

Also if you are familiar/ have been to kansas city, omaha, sioux falls, spokane, billings, seattle, portland, san francisco, bakersfield, las vegas, albequerquie, oklahoma city, or any other city we may be passing through... Please tell me the #1 thing to do while there, as we might only have time to do one thing in some of these cities, haha!

Your plans are simply going to wind up be sightseeing through the windshield of your car. A 10 day "speed run" is going to be grueling on all of you. You just cannot get adequate rest and sleep in a car. If you really want to make it that kind of a trip, keep 2 people awake in the car at all times and switch drivers every 3 hours. Search this site for "speed run" and read the article, please. When driving in the West after dark off Interstate highways, be aware of the open range - black cows are hard to see standing in the middle of the road.

Default We all do.

I do believe with my odd obsession of being on the road, some of you may relate to me
    Lol, your kidding right ? This is a road trip forum with millions of miles racked up by the main contributors alone and we are all here because we love the open road, we also have a lot of experience in driving extremely long distances but that doesn't change my opinion on your trip I'm afraid.

It's not to say you can't do it and if you want to stop by the edge of the road and take a picture of an odd attraction that's fine but don't expect to have time in the Cities or anywhere else to sight see. OK, you want to spend a day in Seattle so your time is down to 202 hours, your drive time with time for gas and food breaks will be around 100 hours and to get a good nights sleep 80 hours leaving you a grand total of 20 hours "spare" to find somewhere to sleep and set up camp, and to do a multi day trip is more gruelling than a long weekend away.

I doubt we will change your mind but good luck with your plans and keep it safe !

Default Any help as far as the trip itself?

Ya I understand where you are all coming from, and after the trip I will let you guys know if it was worth it or not.

But back to the purpose of this post, I really would like some input on any towns, or great bodies of nature, or any detours with amazing sight along this route that you know of? And also like i posted above, if you have been to one of the cities along the route, what is one thing you suggest to do? Anyway, I know we have lots of amazing roadtrip gurus on here so it would be great to get some feedback, and as soon as possible would be nice!!

Default Pointless

There are just a very few people who contribute regularly here. They do so because they want to share their love of the adventure of the road with others setting out on drives to discover the amazing sights and experiences of America. Quite frankly, they can't answer every question from every one with connection to the internet. So they tend to budget their efforts, giving advice where it may be of use and appreciated. Yours is not such a case. You have received multiple responses agreeing that your proposed trip is, as you put it, insane. You simply will not have time to do or see anything. You refuse to accept that advice. But no one is under any obligation to provide you with a list of attractions, covering the entire country, that you will not be able to use. We have made our position on your trip clear. I am therefore going to close out this discussion. It can serve no useful propose.

AZBuck

There are some problems with your request.

First, you're talking about a trip covering a extremely vast distance, and narrowing down a couple things that you might be interested in, from the millions of possiblities is just not an easy task. Roadtrips aren't about lists or "the number one thing" because that number one thing is different for everyone.

Second, when you've made it quite clear that you are going to do a trip where you aren't going to have any time to enjoy anything - and you're not going to take the advice the "gurus" when they say you're not going to have time to enjoy anything - its just hard to motivate those same people to give you advice about a list of things that you might enjoy. Its just not worth the effort when they know anything they say will be of no real use to you - its just not mathematically possible.

I'm sorry we can't help you more. Do your trip, enjoy what you can with what's along the way. I really think that's going to be your best bet.