Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Driving to Vegas

I am planning on driving to Las Vegas from southeast Florida. I have a 1990 honda accord with 280,000 miles on it, it runs real good. I have had it for 4 yrs. I have driven it to New Orleans Twice without any problems besides an oil leak. If anybody has any experience about this any info would be greatly apprciated.

Default borrowed time

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

Even if you haven't had any problems yet, the fact is a 20 year old car with nearly 300,000 miles is running on borrowed time. I would certainly have your car given a solid look at by a good mechanic, and have a backup plan in case your car suffers a fatal breakdown.

Otherwise, you're looking at roughly a 2600 mile trip, which is a solid 5 days on the road. If you have some specific questions you need help with, feel free to ask, otherwise you can find lots of generic advice and tips just by looking around this forum and the other areas of this website.

Default Take it easy

With a twenty year old Honda Accord I'd be taking it pretty easy and nurse her lovingly all the way to Vegas, by making that at least a six day journey (if not seven).

While at the same time making sure that you have ready access to your savings, lest you are forced to bid her farewell along the way.

Lifey who has driven older cars coast to coast

4. Default

Thanks for the info!

I have had the car for 4yrs and have always treated her nice. Im confindent that I can make it, considering when I was driving back from New orelans which is a 740 mile drive it ran one 1 qt of oil, from mississippi to southeast Florida. I just got the car tuned up, new battery, oil change, etc... its seems to be riding pretty good. I did get a AAA card so if anything happens... I guess I can call them. I have saved up quite a bit of money for this so money is not an issue. If I have to bid her farewell, I will be upset but she did her time I guess. I guees the specific info I need is, is it possible? Has any body done this before? Im just trying to build enough courage and confindents to know that I can make it. I seem to be embracing uncetainty but im feeling adventurous! Call me crazy but I think she loves to drive!

Default Anything's possible !

I guees the specific info I need is, is it possible?
    Most definitely ! You know your car, you know the risks and many people take drives across the country so if you are up for it and you think the car is then go for it !

The more time you can afford for the trip the more you will see and the easier it will be on the car so you now need to work out how long you have and what places you find interesting along the way. Have a good look around the RTA pages and you will find lot's of info on every aspect of road tripping. Once you have that worked out if you have any specific questions just ask.

I would have a mechanic determine the source of the oil leak, and repair it if feasible. Less than 1000 miles on a quart of oil is a matter for concern these days.

7. Default

I bring my car to a dependable local mechanic and he was saying that I might have to get a whole new oil pan put in which would be expensive but I don't feel like putting out that kind of money, for now he put a tap in screw in and it seems to work fine, one thing im not sure of is adding oil every so often because of the leak. I went out and bought 4 qts of oil and will probably buy more. I don't know if adding oil is a bad thing while its leaking but its all I can do at this point. Its been holding oil pretty good with the tap in screw.

That could be a problem. If you get an oil change out on the road, the plug may not seal well when reinserted. I'd really recommend you have it done with a more permanent method.

Default check the level

Really, the oil level is the thing that matters. As long as you are in the full range, you should continue to get by. I'd really just make sure you're checking the level every day before you get on the road, and frequently as you stop for gas.

If you are just driving out there and back, you consider simply changing your oil right before you leave and wait until you get back, probably using a synthetic or at least semi-synthetic oil. That should help avoid problems with the temporary plug. Its longer than you'd typically got between oil changes, but highway miles don't break down the oil as quickly as stop/go driving - plus its not like you're in danger of voiding any warranty at this point!

10. Default

Yeah, I have been checking the oil level and it seems to be holding well. The thing is, is that I just got my oil changed a couple weeks ago, planning on leaving in about 12 days. Got new battery and he checked out most of my car and made some other minor adjustments. The oil that he put in was 20w50 its not a synthetic. Its just regular oil, Im pretty sure he did that because its an old car. Is that alright? When I bought the oil (extra for the trip) I was asking the guy at the auto store if its alright to mix oils and he said its alright as long if its the same oil (20w50). It can be any brand, I was wondering if I could put in a synthetic 20w50? Is there a synthetic oil that is 20w50? I didnt't see any at that particular store.