Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default CT to LA, August, about 10 days

I am going to graduate school in the fall near LA, so I need to drive cross-country. I wanted to make it a fun experience and this seemed like a great place to get some advice. I am thinking I-80W is the best route, especially in August...going through Colorado and Utah. So I was wondering about good places I should hit on the way. Thanks!

Default route check

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

First thing to note, I-80 could be a fine choice of a route, as could a route through Colorado and Utah, however I-80 doesn't go through either of those states.

Really, there is never a one sized fits all best route, and the best advice I can give is to pick a route that takes you to the places you want to go. If that is Colorado and Utah, which have more than a dozen great national parks, and tons of great places to go and things to do, then that's where you should go! 10 days for this trip is a nice amount of time, as you're looking at about 5-6 full days of driving, leaving you another 4-5 days just to explore and have fun.

Having said that, we really don't know what you'd be interested in doing, and no one really can know that better than yourself. With millions of possibilties on a cross country trip, you need to take the first step to figure out your top priorities (which is really the fun part anyway). Once you've established a few ideas, then we can help you sort things out and perhaps offer some additional ideas that would compliment your goals.

Well I am just beginning, but some of the things that I want to see are
    -Ballparks
    -National Parks, Hiking Areas
    -Landmarks

I have alot of research to do =)

Well, you'll have plenty of options to pick from. Some of my favorite ballparks could certainly be on your route. Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, and St. Louis are my 3 favorite of the "new" parks, the classic park, Wrigley Field, could be worked in. KC's park is neat in that it is an older park but has many of the same features as the newer parks. Cleveland and Denver also have decent newer parks, although they are a step down, in my opinion, from the other ones on the way.

The national parks website is filled with great information for you to work through, and of course, simply be looking at a good map which will show other state parks and other points of interest along the way.

Thanks! I was looking at a nice series between the Cards and Cubs in mid-August.

Here's my first draft
    Western Connecticut Leave early August 10th
    Drive August 10th end hotel near Cincy
    Cincinnati August 11th 12:35 game vs Cardinals
    Cincinnati/Indianapolis/St. Louis 11th-13th
    St. Louis 13th 7:35 game vs Cubs
    14th driving, ending somewhere in Kansas
    15th driving, ending near Rocky Mountain Park
    16th rocky mountain park, night part of the way to Utah
    17th drive to Zion National Park arrive hotel near park
    18th Zion National Park, night drive to Vegas
    Las Vegas 18th night
    Southern California 19th

Tempted to add my Yankees against the Royals on the 14th but I don't know if that's possible.
    Also considering skipping Cards and Cubs and getting more time in Colorado/Utah
    Last edited by sptrip; 03-06-2010 at 10:08 AM.

Default CT to LA

Hello, looking for comments and suggestions on my cross country trip to graduate school. I posted about a month ago, but I thought a new thread would be good. It was a great help before and I am sure it will be a great help again. Thanks!
    I have 2 questions embedded in there,
    1. Should I drive through Indianapolis or Louisville on the way to St. Louis from Cincinnati? Both are about the same driving time.
    2. What would be a good place to stay between Grand Canyon and Long Beach, CA? Looking for a town near Long Beach but before the Friday night LA traffic.

Western Connecticut August 9th
    Drive August 9th to hotel near Akron, OH
    9 hrs. 23 mins estimated total
    I-80 W and I-71S

Drive August 10th to Cincinnati hotel
    4 hrs 27 mins estimated total

Cincinnati August 11th 12:35 CST game 11th vs Cardinals
    end 330pm EST
    Drive to St. Louis 11th after game
    Arrive 9pm CST in St. Louis (6 hr drive, gain 1 hr time difference)
    Through Louisville or Indianapolis?
    St. Louis hotel

St. Louis 11th night, 12th day…drive to KC
    5 hr estimated drive leave by 1 pm
    Kansas City 12th night 7:10 CST vs Yankees
    Kansas city hotel

13th driving, ending in Limon, CO
    8 hr 47 min estimated driving
    Limon hotel

14th drive to Denver, CO
    Estimated 2 hrs
    (morning/afternoon)
    Drive to Estes Park, CO near RMNP 1 hr 45 mins

15th rocky mountain park

16th drive to Moab, UT
    Estimated 8 hr 24 mins

17th Arches National Park/Canyonlands National Park

18th Drive to Grand Canyon National Park
    7 hr 42 mins estimated driving time

19th Grand Canyon National Park

20th Drive to somewhere between Grand Canyon and Long Beach, CA
    6 hr+
    Where would a good city to stay be along 1-605S but before LA traffic?

21st drive to Long Beach, CA
    2 hr max
    Last edited by AZBuck; 04-03-2010 at 05:32 PM. Reason: Merged with previous discussion. Please do not start multiple threads for the same trip.

Personally, I'd drive through Louisville on your way to St. Louis. I've found the drive through southern Indiana is actually a lot more scenic than you might expect. Plus, after a day at a ballgame, taking a tour of the Louisville Slugger factory, and taking a few swings in their batting cage could be a nice stop long the way.

If you're hoping to find a town before traffic and on I-605, you're asking for the impossible. You are very much knee deep in LA traffic well before you even get to I-605. Pretty much any place after Barstow can start seeing traffic, especially on a Friday night. But somewhere near the Ontario airport should be along the lines of what you are looking for.

Default Six of One, As Little As Possible of the Other

As you note, there is minimal difference between I-74/I-70 (Indianapolis) and I-71/I-74 (Louisville) in terms of either miles or time. But having driven both, I would give a slight nod to the Louisville route simply because you are likely to see a shade less traffic and the route suits my tastes better. Your tastes may be different.

By the time you hit I-605, you'll already be well within the L.A. basin and the attendant traffic which you should start to notice near the intersection of I-15 and CA/I-210 in Rancho Cucamonga. If you really want to avoid all traffic, I'd pull up as soon as you get to this area.

AZBuck

I'd spend that last night in Victorville/Apple Valley/Hesperia. There are plenty of hotel choices and it's less than 2 hours from there into Long Beach with minimal traffic delays - it's 95 miles.