1. Default Austin to Seattle

Hi,

My boyfriend and I quit our jobs in London, UK to take 6 months off traveling in S. America and America. We will spend our final month of holiday driving from Austin, Texas where we are going to SXSW music festival, to Seattle where we will cross the border and arrive in our new home, Vancouver, Canada.

We have one month to make the trip and no plans or specific deadlines. Our original plan was to drive from Austin, west, until San diego, but met a Texan recently that said that was the WORST idea ever!!!!

Does anyone out there have any suggestions on a good route? Places we cant miss?

Also, we haven't booked any accoms as we want to keep our trip open, is this a bad idea? are hotel/motels easy to find as well as camp sites??

Would love ANY feedback!

Thanks!

Raila Gutman

Default Sounds just about perfect to me!

Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum!
    My boyfriend and I quit our jobs in London, UK to take 6 months off traveling in S. America and America. We will spend our final month of holiday driving from Austin, Texas where we are going to SXSW music festival, to Seattle where we will cross the border and arrive in our new home, Vancouver, Canada.
    I am assuming you are renting a car? It's easy to find both motel and camping lodging and I think your trip sounds too open-ended to pre-book lodging. Your route is fine -- if you wanted to -- you could zig-zag your way north by hitting many of the national parks in Arizona & Utah on your way to the coast.

Mark

Please note that if you are renting a car in Austin or anywhere else in the US, you cannot return it in Canada. You will have to return it in Seattle and take the bus or other public transportation across the border. What you could do if your car is full of personal effects is drive to Vancouver, drop your stuff off, then return to the US and drop the car off. Make sure the car you rent is allowed to go to Canada if you do it this way.

4. Default

Thank you for your advice. yes! we are dropping the car off in Seattle and taking the bus across the border.

are there any particular parks in Arizona and Utah that you can highly recommend?

Raila

Simply put, I've yet to find a National Park I didn't enjoy, and just between AZ and UT there are more than a dozen to pick from. A few of the most visited would include the Grand Canyon, Bryce Canyon, Zion, and Arches - but there are several more that are also worth taking a look at.