1. Default Advice for route Death Valley to Grand Canyon then back to Vegas

Hi to all,
    Freind of mine is planning a familiar route in April this year.

I did a similiar trip a year or so ago but not the final bit so need some advice. Here's the plan so far

2 April Fly to San Francisco
    3/4 April Family visit transfer to San Francisco Hotel on Evening of the 4th April
    5/6 April San Francisco
    7 April Leave San Francisco - Arrive Yosemite west gate evening to hotel
    8 April Yosemite back to hotel
    9 April Leave Yosemite via ??? (as tioga road closed) towards and through Death Valley
    10 April ???
    11 April ???
    12 April ???
    13 April ???
    14 April Arrive Vegas Lunchtime
    15/16 April In Vegas
    17 April Fly Home

It's the bits with the ????? we need help on and the exit from Yosemite given the usual route out and across to the Death Valley route through Bishop and Lone Pine will be closed.

After Death Valley he wants to see the Grand Canyon (North Rim Closed?), monument Valley, meteor crater? and as much of the other Grand canyon must sees as possible, the plan is also to bypass vegas until on the way back via the Hoover Dam.

Phew hope that's clear any suggestions ideas routes etc etc more than greatfully received!

Many thanks in advance for your help and advice.

David
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 03-04-2010 at 07:30 AM. Reason: Linked to Thread from Previous Trip

Default new options

Welcome Back to the RTA forum!

Since you did Death Valley last time, I might skip it this time, especially since it looks like you are fairly pressed for time to fit in those other things out in Arizona.

What I would look at doing is driving straight from Yosemite towards Arizona (CA-99 to CA-58 to I-40). Laughlin NV or Kingman Az could be good overnights. Then look at doing a loop including the Grand Canyon, then coming back to Vegas through Utah, hitting Bryce and/or Zion.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Michael View Post
    Welcome Back to the RTA forum!

Since you did Death Valley last time, I might skip it this time, especially since it looks like you are fairly pressed for time to fit in those other things out in Arizona.

What I would look at doing is driving straight from Yosemite towards Arizona (CA-99 to CA-58 to I-40). Laughlin NV or Kingman Az could be good overnights. Then look at doing a loop including the Grand Canyon, then coming back to Vegas through Utah, hitting Bryce and/or Zion.
    Hi Michael, thanks for the welcome back. sorry i didn't make it clear i'm not doing the trip so the person going has not been through Death Valley. It is something they wanted to do so i (we) must include it.

Thanks for the suggestions on the route and overnights, is they an easy way to put DV in the trip?

Thanks again

Yes, take CA-14 north from CA-58 to US-395. Take that north to CA-190 which will take you into Death Valley. Coming out of Death Valley, go out the east or south entrance and take CA-127 south to Baker, then I-15 to Nipton Road to Searchlight, NV. Take US-95 south to NV-163 and go through Laughlin. From there, take AZ-68 to US-93 to Kingman to pick up I-40.

I'd plan on spending a night in (Panamint Springs) or near (Ridgecrest, Lone Pine) Death Valley if you do this.