Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default San Francisco To Las Vegas

My wife and I plan to have a trip to California and Nevada in April, we will have 4 days from San Francisco to Las Vegas. We really want to see Napa Valley, Yosemite and Death Valley. I read a lot of threads(There are too many of them!) in RTA and made a plan:

Day 1, San Francisco, to Napa Valley, to Yosemite, stay at Yosemite
    Day 2, Yosemite, afternoon drive to Lake Isabella(CA-140, CA-41?), stay at Lake Isabella
    Day 3, Drive to Death Valley(US-395), stay at Death Vally
    Day 4, Death Valley, drive to Las Vegas

I am wondering if the DV is worth to spend a overnight to stay? Anything else we can see on the road from Lake Isabella to Death Valley? Big Pine?

Thanks in advance!

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

You're very rushed at the beginning of your trip and will have very little time to enjoy Napa or Yosemite on your current pace. But you've actually got a lot of time on the second half of your trip.

I would scale back your first day, and just focus on Napa. Spend the night between Napa and Yosemite. On Day 2, I would finish the drive to Yosemite and spend the night there. Day 3 would be mostly a driving day, heading from Yosemite to Death Valley. and then spend Day 4 exploring Death Valley and making the short trip to Vegas.

3. Default

Thanks for the quick reply!

Day 3 driving, which route we should take for a better scene or something interesting we can explore? It's the first time we go to California.

Thanks
    Last edited by AZBuck; 03-04-2010 at 05:54 AM. Reason: Quote of entire previous post removed

Yosemite to DV is a pretty full day going the most direct route. I would take CA-99 down to Bakersfield, CA-178 through the Kern River Canyon and past Lake Isabella to US-395 and CA-190 into Death Valley.

That's already going to be about an 11 hour trip, so you won't have much extra time for exploring, but that will allow you to get the most out of your time at Yosemite and Death Valley.

Default How I would play it.

On day 1 you could stop at somewhere such as Groveland that would leave you a short run into Yosemite to get as close to a full day as you can there, the waterfalls will be flowing and it is spectacular. By exiting the park later in the day you could possibly find lodgings at Oakhurst on CA 41 that would take time off the following days drive to Death valley. Follow the 41 to 99 at Fresno and continue as Michael suggested. The first lodgings in DV are at Panamint springs and from Oakhurst would cut your driving down to 7 or 8 hours leaving you a full day to explore Death valley with your onward journey to Las Vegas.

6. Default

We can go to Napa Valley on Day 0, and may stay at Napa Valley that night. Will it be good so we can stay overnight at Yosemite Day 1?

thanks!

Default Adding a night ?

If you are meaning that you can leave SF a day earlier and start your itinerary above from Napa, then yes that would relax the pace somewhat and give you a more enjoyable experience.

8. Default

I just found Day 3 would be a Friday, and there seems no room available of Panamint Springs. Are there any other hotels near Death Valley we can make reservation now?

Thanks!
    Last edited by AZBuck; 03-04-2010 at 05:55 AM. Reason: Quote of entire previous post removed

Check in Ridgecrest and Lone Pine.

Default Next one in DV.

Or you could travel further into DV if Stovepipe wells has available lodging, it's less than hour more travel and near the sand dunes.