Default San Diego to Dallas Ft. Worth

Sup RTA,

I'm new to this site, I have pretty much flown everywhere I have been in the US, with the occasional drive out to Vegas. My wife's sister moved out to Dallas Ft. Worth and we plan on visiting her this June. Instead of wasting the money on plane tickets, we figured "why not make it a roadtrip?"! I have gotten as far as the Grand Canyon on our planned route but became stumped on other landmarks and sightseeing locations to visit on the rest of the trip. We are planning a 16 day vacation but would like to spend a majority of it with family out in Texas. I planned to allocate 6 days on the road sightseeing with 10 days out in Texas. Any suggestions on stops alone the way, must sees and alternate routes would be greatly appreciated.

Green County, Wisconsin

Default moving along

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

If you are going to take a detour all the way to the Grand Canyon, I'd really recommend you plan a 4 day drive for that leg. Just covering the miles is 3 long days, so right now you would have almost no time at all to see the Canyon. Also along that leg could be stops at Walnut Canyon, the Petrified Forest/Painted Desert, and Albuquerque (or both Albuq and Santa Fe).

Coming back, sticking to I-10 will save you about 300 miles so that will make it easier to make the trip in 3 days and see things along the way. Here is a great list of some of the things in Texas, New Mexico, and Southern Arizona.

Default Thanks!

Thank you for the quick response! I am going to take your advice and spend that extra day of traveling to truly enjoy the GC! I think you have giving me enough info to plan the rest of our trip. I will be sure to reply once we get back from our trip(sometime in July) and hopefully post highlights and pictures of our adventure! Thanks again MM! RTA is an awesome site and I will be sure to spread the word!