Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Honeymoon Road Trip from Chicago

My fiance and I (I'm 30 yrs old, she's 28), are getting married April 24, 2010. We are going to Playa Del Carmen, Mexico for one week, for the first half of our two-week long honeymoon. We will be back from our trip in Mexico on May 6th. We plan on taking a week long roadtrip the day after we get back from Mexico. So these are the issues at hand that we are facing: Where will it be warm enough to go, being that wherever we end up, we would like to see the weather somewhere between 65-85 degrees? We aren't particularly wanting to stay in one city for the whole week, we are open to staying a night or two in various cities, although if we did find one city to stay in that we would enjoy that much, we are open to it. We love scenic drives that include mountains, water, etc... We are not into dance clubs and things like that, but we do enjoy a lively scene of late night restaurants and lounges with music and other things to experience. We will be leaving from Chicago and we have one week so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Default Chicago to New Orleans, New Orleans to Houston and Dallas, Dallas to Chicago

So I think I came up with a plan for a roadtrip and I wanted to share with everyone and get some thoughts and opinions please. It's a one-week trip so here it is:

Day 1, Tuesday May 4th: Drive from 6am-9pm, arrive in New Orleans.
    Day 2, Wednesday May 5th: Site-see in New Orleans
    Day 3, Thursday May 6th: Site-see in New Orleans.
    Day 4, Friday May 7th: Leave New Orleans at 8am, arrive in Houston, Texas at 1:30pm, site-see and stay the night on Friday night.
    Day 5, Saturday, May 8th: Leave Houston at 8am, arrive in San Antonio at 12:00 noon. Site-see and stay there Saturday night.
    Day 6, Sunday, May 9th: Site-see the riverwalk and the Alamo in San Antonio. Stay there Sunday night.
    Day 7, Monday, May 10th: Leave San Antonio at 8am, arrive in Dallas at 1pm. Site-see and stay in Dallas on Monday night.
    Day 8, Tuesday, May 11th: Leave Dallas at 8am, arrive in Saint Louis at 8pm. Stay in Saint Louis on Tuesday night.
    Day 9, Wednesday, May 12th: Leave Saint Louis at 11am, arrive in Chicago at 6pm. End of raodtrip.

That's my idea so far, any input? Good idea? Any problems with my plan? Any suggestions? Thanks in advance everyone.
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 03-01-2010 at 08:08 AM. Reason: Merged back to back posts about the same trip

Default Back to the Drawing Board

Quote Originally Posted by prophotodude View Post
    That's my idea so far, any input? Good idea? Any problems with my plan?
    1000 miles is much further than any human can safely travel in 15 hours. Remember that computer mapping programs do not need to stop for fuel, food or restrooms, neither do they ever strike any roadworks holdups, traffic congestion or detours and they certainly never get held up by an accident up ahead. The minimum recommended percentage to add to computer time is 20%. Your 15 hours are now closer to 18 or 19 hours, and that is assuming you have a good run. Add an hour buffer for the unexpected, and you are looking at somewhere around 20 hours .... or two full days.

Best go back to the drawing board, and when you have made the adjustments, come back for some further suggestions and fine tuning.

Lifey

Default re-worked the first and second day

Thanks Lifey, I think you're right. I changed the first two days to break up that long drive. I'm used to long roadtrips, I've done many of them and enjoy them very much, as does my fiance. I think my fiance's breaking point would be 12hours. So I'm trying to keep it under 12 hours of continous driving. Tell me what you think of this idea please, and thanks for your input.

Day 1, Tuesday May 4th: Drive from 7am-3pm, arrive in Nashville, Tennesse. Site-see for a bit, stay the night in Nashville.
    Day 2, Wednesday May 5th: Leave Nashville at 7am, arrive in New Orleans at 4pm, site-see for a bit. Stay the night in New Orleans.
    Day 3, Thursday May 6th: Site-see in New Orleans.
    Day 4, Friday May 7th: Leave New Orleans at 8am, arrive in Houston, Texas at 1:30pm, site-see and stay the night on Friday night.
    Day 5, Saturday, May 8th: Leave Houston at 8am, arrive in San Antonio at 12:00 noon. Site-see and stay there Saturday night.
    Day 6, Sunday, May 9th: Site-see the riverwalk and the Alamo in San Antonio. Stay there Sunday night.
    Day 7, Monday, May 10th: Leave San Antonio at 8am, arrive in Dallas at 1pm. Site-see and stay in Dallas on Monday night.
    Day 8, Tuesday, May 11th: Leave Dallas at 8am, arrive in Saint Louis at 8pm. Stay in Saint Louis on Tuesday night.
    Day 9, Wednesday, May 12th: Leave Saint Louis at 11am, arrive in Chicago at 6pm. End of raodtrip.

Default It doesn't take much

See how a little adjustment can change what would have been a stressful start to the roadtrip, to a potentially memorable trip, one you will both enjoy. But hey, I would still urge you to stop every two or three hours, even if only for 15 minutes, to walk around, get the blood circulating again, and fresh oxygen to the brain. Stay alert!

Have a great trip.

Default a vacation from your vacation

Your plan is workable, but pretty exhausting. Its the sort of thing where I could very easily see you needing a vacation at the end of your vacation just to recover. If you are doing this trip right after coming home from Mexico, that's going to make it even worse. When you throw in this being a honeymoon trip, you're not going to have much time for "honeymooning" if you know what I mean.

Your trip certainly could be done, but considering all of the circumstances surrounding this trip, I think you're really close to overscheduling, and you could very well have a better time if you scale things back even more. I might skip texas altogether, and just focus all of your time on Nashville, New Orleans, and the Memphis on the way home.

Default One week roadtrip to great smoky mountains?

So originally we wanted to go to new orleans, than to texas and back up to chicago. But that seems a bit too ambitous. Now we're thinking of driving from chicago to the blue ridge mountains and smoky mountains. Any thoughts? Tips? We really enjoy beautiful scenic drives, cliffs, cool things to do along the way, tourist traps, etc... We have one week, leaving on may 4th, coming back to chicago on may 12th. You guys have been really great with info and advice, thanks again in advance.
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 03-01-2010 at 03:30 PM. Reason: Merged AGAIN - please stop creating new threads about this trip

Default focus

Well, going to the mountains is another option that would work within your timeline. The temperatures might be cooler than you originally said you wanted, however.

Considering this is the 3rd thread you've created in less than 24 hours about this trip, you might be better off taking a step back, talking with your fiance, and getting a better idea about your own goals. Quite frankly, Its hard for others to keep providing meaningful advice when your own ideas keep changing so quickly.

You're absolutely right, and I apologize for the multiple threads. At the time, we were set on the New Orleans to texas and back to Chicago trip, but that will take too long. We only have one week. But we've decided on leaving Chicago, going to Skyline Parkway, onto Shenandoah Nat'l Park, into Smoky Mountains, down to Knoxville, TN., than into Nashville, TN., than up to Bowling Green, KY., than onto Louisville, KY., and back up to Chicago. It seems much more do-able and less mileage and time. Again, do you have any tips on things that we should definitely see and things that we should skip and not waste our time on, tourist traps, other attractions that we should check out? Any info would be great. Again, sorry for changing our minds on our original trip, and thanks again for all your help. You folks are great!

I doubt that you will see 65 to 85 degrees in May in the mountains!