Default San Fran - Yosemite - Death Valley - Vegas - Grand Canyon - Vegas

Hello all

I am new to here as not had to plan a roadtrip before,

I am after advice, info , suggestions for my trip, we are on honeymoon and spending time in new york and san fran before the drive begins.
    The plan is
    day one drive to yosemite from san fran and stop at the bug
    day two drive to bishop/independance area for one night (not booked anywhere yet)
    day three drive to vegas taking in death valley, one night in vegas (not booked anywhere yet)
    day four drive to grand canyon stopping at williams for two nights
    day five as above
    day six return to vegas for 4 more nights (not booked anywhere yet)

does this seem a realistic plan as we want to take in quite a lot of things?

any thoughts would be appreciated

Cheers Andy

To make it just a bit more leisurely, I'd add one day in between SF and LV, going through Yosemite and Death Valley. You can steal that day from the 4 nights in LV. You could also bypass LV on the way out, staying elsewhere between DV and the GC.

Williams is generally very economical, but if your budget is not too tight, look at staying in or nearer the park, perhaps staying one night in Williams and one night in Tusayan. This may cut down on some driving and give you more time in the park.

Default Nice trip.

Hello, congratulations and welcome to the RTA forums !

I think your plan is sound and set at a relaxed pace which should be so on your honeymoon. As glc noted you could tweak it a little between SF and the GC to give you a little more time in Yosemite and Death valley of which both are amazing. Try and get up to Glacier point while in Yosemite, the view is amazing and you will want to allow plenty of time to stop and take in the views on the Tioga pass towards Mono lake.

Have fun !

hello again

cheers for the ideas , think you may have changed our plans,,

day one drive to yosemite from san fran and stop at the bug
    day two drive to bishop/independance area for one night (not booked anywhere yet)
    day three in death valley, driving through to other side and stop somewhere about an hour outside vegas any ideas??, (not booked anywhere yet)
    day four drive to grand canyon stopping at williams for two nights
    day five as above
    day six return to vegas for 4 more nights (not booked anywhere yet)

so any reccomendations of places to stay near Death Valley Junction , or pahrump

i want to try and keep last four days in vegas for honeymoon relaxation and recover from lots of driving

cheers in advance

Andy

Default car hire

a quick question , dodge charger or ford escape, do i rellt need an suv for this trip?

You don't need an SUV. Simply put, you can't take a rental off road (even a 4 wheel drive rental), so if there is a road where you'd need four wheel drive, you would be invalidating your rental agreement by driving on it.

Default Lodging.

Yep, an SUV really is an unnecessary expense especially with just the two of you.

To max your time in Yosemite you could consider stopping at Lee vining/Mono lake and next day stop off at Furnace creek the next night in Death valley before continuing to GC. Pahrump also has lodging options but I don't know of any that I could personally recommend.

Note, it will be extremely hot in Death valley during summer so make sure you have sun hats, cream and carry water. There are lots of great views just a few steps from the car and near Furnace creek is Badwater, the lowest point in the USA.

The Amargosa Opera House hotel in Death Valley Junction is now open, and they take reservations for specific rooms online. The site even has pictures of each room. It's at CA-190 and CA-127 just outside the east entrance to DV. Rooms start at $60.

This would allow you to bypass Las Vegas on your way to the GC by taking 127 to Baker, then I-15 to Nipton Rd (164) to Searchlight, then 95 to 163 through Laughlin, and 68 to 93 and I-40. There's no need for you to deal with the security delays at the Hoover Dam more than once - on the way back.

Default Traveler Alert

DO NOT plan staying at the The Amargosa Opera House hotel in Death Valley Junction! The maintenance of the facility is poor, water service is inconsistent and the rates they charge are 100% over-priced.

It is worthwhile to stop by, and see the historical photos -- but staying there is more like camping than you'd probably want.

Mark