Thread: Laptop GPS

1. Default Laptop GPS

I've googled this and I can't really find anything I dont know why..I'm going on a really long trip soon and I want to use GPS but I'm poor and dont want to buy a Garmin or watever, but I found out Microsoft Streets And Trips 10' can sync with a USB GPS 'receiver' and function as a turn-by-turn GPS system on my laptop. It comes with the 'reciever' when you buy it in a box from the store, but I pirated the program so I dont. Basically, anyone know where I can buy the GPS locator for laptop?

Default Get what you pay for

A quick Google search returns a plethora of these receivers available for sale. Since you pirated the software, you're getting exactly what you paid for - which is something of value (software) but missing the value you required (software and hardware combination). Streets & Trips with the GPS locator appears to cost less than just buying the locator alone. You could also scour eBay for something similar.

3. Default

yea, i've seen some for sale online for like 30$. but i can't find a store like best buy or radioshack that has these does anybody know of a place that sells these. i dont want to buy it online, why dont these stores have those? It seems like it should be a relatively popular item.

Default the answer is obvious

As Tim mentioned, Stores sell them, but they sell them with the software. The reason you're not finding them as stand-alone items is because they aren't expecting many of their customers to be trying to supplement pirated software. Its not really popular as a stand-alone item, because it doesn't have a lot of purpose without the software.

5. Default

well they sell two versions of Streets and trips, one with the gps, and one without "if you already have a gps receiver". So I didnt think they would be to hard to find, oh well.

Yes, they sell software updates for people who already have the GPS reciever, but that's exactly the point, some people already have the gps because they've already purchased an older version of the software.

Think of it this way, you can buy tires without getting a new car, but buying a new car without tires doesn't make much sense. A GPS without the software is really no more valuable than a car without tires, and that's why they really aren't sold in stores by themselves.

7. Default

Yea I guess im going to have to buy it online. They have quite a few models online and seem to be selling alot on Amazon so I guess alot of people buy their cars' without tires...Almost everything sold at electronic stores is useless without having something else that powers/plays/uses/interacts with the product in someway so your car theory is a little out of place though. I cant believe radio shack or some store doesnt carry this

Ok, if you want to finish out the analogy. Yes people can by a car without the tires, but they aren't trying to steal the tires first, and then complaining when they go to the dealership and they refuse to sell the rest of the car. I think that's the part of the equation that you are missing.

Online stores and used sellers don't have nearly the restrictions that traditional retailers have in this regard, and selling a product aimed at making it more easy for people like you to steal from their suppliers just isn't in Radio Shack or Best Buy's best interest. Its really not complicated, you just need to think about it from a perspective that's beyond your personal convenience.