1. Default Summer Road Trip - San Fran, San Diego and Vegad

can anyone give me some any my girlfriend are plannig a trip, driving from san fran to san diego then on to vegas, i was after any info regarding places to stay along the way....motels are fine, in fact they would probably be better (add to the experience).

also, when in vegas my girlfriend is keen to see the canyon by helicopter, i was wondering if may of the trips (incl. alcatraz, baseball game and the like) are better pre-booked before we arrive or can they be booked on arrival....would it be cheaper....?

many thanks, (im a new user so apologies if i have not followed any forum etiquette - im new to this)

South of England.

Default Time line

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

The one thing you haven't told us is how long you have for your trip and things like how long you would like to spend travelling between SF and San Diego. It's possible to drive between the two in a long day but you could spend several days following the coastal route around Big Sur to San Simeon, Cambria, Morro bay, Santa Barbara and LA etc.

I would recommend booking the Alcatraz tour in advance through the National park service site, which is the only place you can book official tickets direct. I would say the same for the various Grand canyon tours that you would be better off booking in advance and checking the different deals on offer. What you need to know is that the flights from Vegas that land in the Grand canyon area is not part of the National park but on Indian lands at the West rim. If you have time I would recommend travelling to the South rim of the Grand canyon and staying at least one night and then head to Vegas, it's a magnificent experience.

Have a look around the forums, you will find plenty of info on the area and let us know your thoughts and questions and we can help you to "fine tune" your trip.