Hi, what a informative site, i have read most of the recommened threads but still have some questions, i appreciate that this is a very popular route, hope someone can offer some advice.
I'll be arriving in summer and have 20 days to do my loop. We are on a backpackers budget so everything as cheap as possible, but don't want to camp as we won't have any tents etc with us as we are flying over from south africa.
This is my route: LA - San Fran on the 101, San Fran using I80+I580+I205+I5+120+120 to Yosamite travel via tiogo pass to lee vining then down on the 395 then onto the 190 at lone pine into Death Valley then the 160 into Vegas. Stay over there for 3 nights then go on to the grand canyon then on to San Diego and back up to LA on the 5.
I will number my questions to make it easy to answer the ones you know about :)
1. Is there anywhere that is good to overnight between LA and San Fran or should we just drive the whole thing in one go? Not into wine tasting, we are young, like beaches and quirky sights.
2. Is the route i chose between san fran to yosemite the best and most scenic?
3. Where is the best place to overnight in yosemite?
4. Best place to overnight in Deathvalley? Low Budget please.
5. Best route from Vegas into the grandcanyon and what area to overnight there, inside or on the rim, a cheapy motel? Would we need more than 1 night to take it all in, i guess so, if yes which 2 areas in the canyon should we stay?
6. I would like to include Rachel Nevade in to do the ET highway and stay over somewhere there maybe, is the best way to go from death valley directly there and then down into vegas (is that even possible road wise?) or to go there after vegas en route to the grand canyon? And is that possible road wise?
7. Best route from Grand Canyon to San Diego, i.e should we go via flagstaff and pheonix? Where else is good to stay over as it looks like a pretty long way from the grand canyon to San Diego.
8. Where is nice to stay over between San Diego and LA?
Thank you very much for your help!!! We are from south africa so not that clued up on america apart from what i can see on google maps which i have studied for hours and hours, so would really appreciate your expertise!