Default 3 days in Florida

Hi,

Like the new design!

Planning to travel from Ireland to see a shuttle launch in May. All going to plan we will have 3, possibly 4 days to spend in Florida. We're not really that interested in the theme parks so was looking to do a mini roadtrip. We're flying in and out of Orlando, so we'll be collecting car there.

I know its a roadtrip forum, but I don't really want to spend the whole time driving (2/3 hours a day max) so was looking for advice on a route I could take that would let us take in the nicest parts of Florida.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Cian

Default Just Within Reach

With three days of three hours each of driving, what I'd suggest is that you look at going north from Cape Canaveral to southern Georgia, enjoy the St. Augustine, Cumberland Island, Okefenokee Swamp area before returning to Orlando. I will warn you that Shuttle launches are notorious for being delayed. It took me three trips to the Cape before I saw my first launch, but it was well worth it. Good Luck.

AZBuck

Yeah, the one I'm thinking of going to might be moved to June which makes it impossible to go to. Going to book the flights about 10 days beforehand when they bring out the flight readiness report. I've heard of people who traveled only to have it canceled on the day. Still, its something I've always wanted to see, and its coming to and end so now is the time to try.

I was told to visit the west coast, would it be worth the drive over? Not sure what to expect really.

Default 10 Days of Hard Driving

To take a side trip from Florida to the West coast will require five days (each way) of hard driving and so I don't see you'll have time .... (unless you mean the west coast of Florida?)

Mark

Default Coasts

I never thought you meant the West Coast, but rather the Gulf Coast of Florida. I had thought about the possibility of your going that way, or even south to the Everglades, but in the end I thought that the recommendations I gave you to go north would make the best use of your time and miles to see some unique aspects of the area you'll be in rather than just more shoreline.

AZBuck