Default September Trip from LA

I'm visiting the West Coast in September and I'm planning a trip of a bit under 2 weeks from LA. It's my first visit to the West Coast so I could really use some help with planning!
    My current plan is the following:

Day 1: Drive LA - Flagstaff. Stay in Flagstaff 2 nights.
    Day 2: Visit Grand Canyon South rim
    Day 3: Drive Flagstaff - Monument Valley - Moab. Stay Moab 3 nights.
    Days 4-5: Visit Canyonlands / Arches
    Day 6: Drive Moab - Bryce Canyon, stay nearby 1 night.
    Day 7: Drive Bryce - Zion, visit Zion. Stay Springdale 1 night.
    Day 8: Drive Zion - Las Vegas
    Day 9: Drive through Death Valley, stay somewhere (not sure where)
    Day 10: Drive to Visalia, stay 2 nights
    Day 11: Sequoia / Kings Canyon
    Day 12: Sequoia / Kings Canyon, then drive to LA.

Originally I wasn't going to include Canyonlands / Arches, but there's a cheap hostel in Moab so I figured it would make a good and cheap base to spend a few nights, and Canyonlands and Arches both sounds really good (cost is a key factor - I don't want the cost of this trip to be too much, so with car rental already costing quite a lot I'm trying to keep the rest down)

Of course I'm worried I'm trying to fit too much into too short a time, with days 6-10 having quite a lot of driving. I could probably extend the trip a day (or possibly even two), but otherwise I don't know which places I would skip.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Default Yosemite ?

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

I think your trip is doable but of course an extra couple of days will help relax things a little and slow the pace down but no part of trip is beyond reasonable. Arches and Canyonlands are both pretty spectacular and so are the journeys out there and back, especially if you head past Capitol Reef NP to Torrey and take scenic byway 12 to Bryce canyon.

A couple of thoughts are, would you be better off spending one night in Flagstaff and then leave the Grand canyon by the East entrance towards Monument valley to save doubling back and cutting the miles down to Moab by staying around Kayenta. Have you a reason for staying in Visalia for 2 nights before going to Sequoia ? I ask because I would recommend heading North on 395 after Death valley and stopping somewhere around Bishop and then take a drive over the Tioga pass [CA120] into Yosemite NP and then towards Sequoia and Kings canyon.

Thanks for the reply!

Quote Originally Posted by Southwest Dave View Post
    would you be better off spending one night in Flagstaff and then leave the Grand canyon by the East entrance towards Monument valley to save doubling back and cutting the miles down to Moab by staying around Kayenta.
    The only thing is that Flagstaff / Moab accommodation is a lot cheaper than anywhere I could between them, although I'll look again, as you're right, that certainly would make more sense from a driving point point of view.

Quote Originally Posted by Southwest Dave View Post
    Have you a reason for staying in Visalia for 2 nights before going to Sequoia ? I ask because I would recommend heading North on 395 after Death valley and stopping somewhere around Bishop and then take a drive over the Tioga pass [CA120] into Yosemite NP and then towards Sequoia and Kings canyon.
    Oh no sorry, I meant that I would stay in Visalia 2 nights and visit Sequoia from Visialia on days 11 and 12, but in fact it would probably be more sensible to stay closer to if not in the park itself.
    I did consider Yosemite but I thought that would be fitting too many places in - although maybe it wouldn't? How much time would be enough to do both Yosemite and Sequoia?

Quote Originally Posted by codam View Post
    The only thing is that Flagstaff / Moab accommodation is a lot cheaper than anywhere I could between them, although I'll look again, as you're right, that certainly would make more sense from a driving point point of view.
    There is nothing inexpensive between the Grand Canyon and Monument Valley - rooms in Kayenta are over $100 a night in September. The closest cheap motels to MV are in Blanding UT.