Thread: nyc to ithaca

1. Default nyc to ithaca

I'm taking a lazy trip up to ithaca and want to make a memorable stop along the way. Any suggestions? eastern pennsylvania or new york... it doesnt matter
    Give me anything that comes to mind... weird, historic, beautiful...I'd even be happy with some funky food options along the way. Or even a fun, cheap place to spend the night/
    It doesnt have to keep me busy for an entire afternoon, just long enough for stretch of the legs on my way to ithaca.

I'm going to hit a bunch of parks in the finger lake region so ideally I'd like something that is a departure from that.
    I've done the Cooperstown thing so I probably won't return for a bit, but it's something like that that I'm looking for.
    thanks

Have you ever been to Howe Caverns?

3. Default

I've been to caverns once. I like that idea. It's a contender

4. Default Most scenic route from NYC to the Finger Lakes

mapquest says it should be a 4.5 hour trip but I am assuming that the setting along that stretch isnt anything special...or maybe I am wrong.
    Anyone have any suggestions for a route from new york city to ithaca that will make for a nice drive without doubling my driving time?
    thanks
    -ch
    Last edited by AZBuck; 03-15-2010 at 08:40 PM. Reason: Merged. Please do not start multiple threads for the same trip.

For some scenery, but not stretching it out to an all-day drive, I'd probably do this:

Take the George Washington Bridge out of NYC, and get on the Palisades Parkway. At West Point/Bear Mountain, take US-6 west to Harriman and get on NY-17. Take that through Binghamton to Owego and get on NY-96 north. At Candor, take NY-96B to Ithaca. I'm showing this as about 240 miles from midtown, and it should take you about 5 hours with no stops whatsoever. If you have more time to burn, you could take US-9W from the NJ/NY state line to Fort Clinton instead of the Palisades Parkway, or go up the east side of the Hudson on US-9 from Tarrytown to Peekskill and over the Bear Mountain Bridge. There's several ways to get from NYC to Tarrytown.

6. Default thanks!

exactly what I was looking for!

The only thing I'd be aware of going that way would be possible construction delays - they are in the midst of upgrading 17 to Interstate standards, it's going to be I-86 when they get done. However, the stretch between Harriman and Binghamton is supposed to be one of the most scenic highways in New York State, it goes through the Catskills. I think it would beat the computer suggested route (I-80/I-380/I-81) all to heck for scenery.