Default 16 day road trip, help with drive from Palm Spring to Grand Canyon

Hi, we are from the UK and this is our first trip to the USA. We are really excited but also quite nervous, can anyone help us with the drive from palm Springs to The Grand Canyon please? We would like some advise on the route to take and also are there places to stop and rest and eat on the way? We are slightly worried about where to buy fuel etc.

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

Fuel really isn't a concern anywhere in the US, as long as you aren't waiting until the last possible second to fill up. It is very rare to go more than 50 miles without seeing a gas station, so as long as you are keeping your tank at least 1/4 full, you shouldn't have any problems at all.

For routes, you've got several options. You could take I-10 all the way to Phoenix and then go north. You could also take one of the route up along the Colorado River (AZ/CA border), either US-95 (california side) or AZ-95 through Lake Havasu and then take I-40 over to Williams. There is no single best choice, it really depends upon what you are looking for and what your priorities are.

Default Don't worry.

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

It's a comfortable days drive from Palm Springs to the Grand canyon [I presume you mean the South rim] and you won't need to concern yourself with places to stop for food and fuel on the way.

The quickest route looks to be I 10/CA 177/CA 62 E/US 95/I 40/AZ64 but you could continue on I 10 and up through Prescot on US 60/AZ 71/ AZ 89 to I 40 at Ash fork or continue towards Phoenix and get on I 17 to Flagstaff and continue North on AZ 89 and enter the Grand canyon via the East entrance on AZ 64.

It really is a straight forward drive so don't worry and if you have any other questions regarding your trip don't hesitate to ask.

Hi, thank you for your replies, is there a difference in scenic views on the different roads or will we see more or less the same thing whichever way we go? Sorry feel pretty silly asking but we don't have a clue what to expect?

Default All Different

Each of the three routes that Dave laid out for you is slightly different and there will be different things and views along each route. But I wouldn't pick one out as being 'better' than the others by any means. For your purposes, where you're trying to get from Palm Springs to the Grand Canyon in a day (admittedly, an assumption on my part) while still having an enjoyable and scenic drive, I think I'd go with the first option Dave suggested. One kicker to this route is that if, rather than turn north on US-95, you continue east on CA-62 to Parker, AZ and then go north on AZ-95, you'll come to Lake Havasu City where, some years ago, London Bridge was reassembled brick by brick after having been bought, dismantled, and shipped. An ersatz English town has grown up around it which probably won't make you feel like home, but should give you a chuckle at what us Yanks think is typically English. You'd then just continue north on AZ-95 to I-40 and follow the rest of the route Dave described.

AZBuck

That is really great, thank you very much.