1. Default Denver to San Francisco WITH PETS!!!

I know the fastest (albeit, most boring) way to travel is I-25N to Cheyenne, WY, then I-80W into San Francisco, but I am traveling with two cats and a dog. Moreover, I'm a 35 year old woman traveling alone. I've heard a few things, and wanted to run the advice I've received by all of you....

1- "Don't take I-80, take 50 (the old Route 66). It's scenic and equally as fast into Tahoe, then head north and catch I-80 from there." <True or not true?>

2- "Stay in Wendover, NV as they have hotels that are pet friendly, and it's half way on your trip." <I've stayed in Wendover, and wasn't sure how safe it was. Would Salt Lake City be better, or Reno? Safer and pet friendly? Please recommend actual hotels if you know of them!>

3- "Drug your pets with benadryl to make the trip easier on them." <I give my dog benadryl now due to allergies, but hadn't thought to use it as an anti-anxiety or sleeping pill. Anyone had success with this- cats specifically?>

Thank you all for your help!

Oh, by the way! I'm headed West the last week of April of '10 and returning in the middle of June.

2. Default

Oh, and how long does this route take?

Green County, Wisconsin

Default good start

Welcome to the RTA Forum

It looks like you've done a pretty good job on your homework so far, but you may be been steered slightly astray in a few areas.

First of all, Route 50 is not, nor has it ever been Route 66. That highway traveled between Chicago and LA, roughly following the modern day I-55, I-44, and I-40, and didn't go through Colorado, Utah, or Nevada at any point.

That said, route 50 is quite scenic in its own right, and has been given the label as "loneliest road in america" for its scenic but rather desolate stretch of Nevada. It is an option to consider, as it shouldn't take too much more time than sticking completely to the Interstates, but if speed is truely the most important thing I would stick to I-80.

I will also say that I-80 is not necessarily boring, and there are a lot of things that are interesting, but you've got to be open to looking at what is in front of you. You won't have the sweeping mountain trek through the Colorado Rockies, but there is plenty to enjoy through Wyoming and Nevada if you let the scenery, not your expectations, to the talking.

This trip is about 1250 miles, which could be done in 2 very long days, and in that case Wendover really would be the only logical stopping point. However, I would recommend a second overnight stop, especially considering you are a solo driver traveling with pets. In that case, Salt Lake City and Reno would be excellent stopovers, giving you a pretty short final trek into SFO on day 3. With a 2nd stop, going via US-50 would also be a more viable option, in which case Delta UT, and then Reno, would be your best bets for lodging.

I would certainly not and have not drugged my pets for travel. However, you might want to talk to your vet and see if they have any recommendations to make the trip easier. Otherwise, shorter days on the road (with frequent breaks for the dog) are really going to be your best bet.

Joplin MO

Delta UT is a very small town that's not on an Interstate highway, and your lodging choices may be better in Salina and Richfield. If you Google for pet friendly hotels, there are a few sites that have searchable databases to help you. Regardless of what you find that way, you need to call each hotel to find out exactly what their policy is.