1. Default Cross Country Advice

Hi I am a 24 yr old female, i plan to drive from Greenville, SC to San Diego,CA in about a month--mid march. I'm looking for advice from people who are old hands at driving long distance and/or cross country. I have a Jeep that has over 200,000 miles on it which makes me a little bit nervous, but the mechanic who put my new tires and brakes in told me I should be fine. I'm also moving so I have the Jeep packed and im curious if pulling such a heavy load is a bad idea. I am mentally and physically up for the challenge and I have a good chunk of $ in reserve for it. I would appreciate some opinions from people who know their stuff. Thanks ALOT!

Default Jeep?

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

'Jeep' is a brand name and covers a multitude of models, so you'll need to tell us a bit more about the model and the load it will be carrying before we can offer specific recommendations on that. But if you've had it checked out by a mechanic (something we heartily recommend) and he was aware of what you plan to do with (to) it, then his word should carry a lot more weight than ours in any event. I'd leave an absolute minimum of four days for the trip - five would be better - but short of that we can't really offer generic advice. What specific questions did you have in mind?

AZBuck

If you are moving to San Diego, you need to consult with your mechanic before leaving to see if your Jeep meets California emissions specs and if it will pass a California smog check. You may want to sell it before you leave. If it won't pass, not only can't you register it in CA, you may not even be able to sell it out there. They do a lot more than just read out the OBD-II, they do full tailpipe sniffer checks and a complete visual inspection.

4. Default Cross Country Advise Con't

Thank you for that advice about the smog check, that could end up being a real problem. I dont really have the option of selling my car so let's just hope it passes the test. The Jeep in question is a '96 Grand Cherokee with most of the 200,000 miles being highway miles. I recently drove her down from Indiana to South Carolina without a hitch. I just got new brakes rotors, replaced front u joint, replaced catalytic converter and replaced tires. The load that I'm taking with me is all personal items mostly clothing.

Well, if i can get over worrying that every mile something will go wrong and me and all my worldy possessions will be stranded in the desert I would like to enjoy my time driving across the entire country because I am an adventurous person and I love the idea of testing myself physically and mentally. My route to San Diego from Greenville, SC looks like a pretty dead shot, that is if mapquest and my GPS are reliable sources, which is something else i wanted to run by a human who knows their stuff. Also, in trying to calculate my gas cost, I come to the approx figure of $400 which seems low to me. Any and all advise covering anything in the 'cross country roadtrippin' realm is welcome and appreciated. Some more of my concerns include weather and sites on the way that I should be sure to check out. Thanks!

Greenville to SD is about 2400 miles by most direct route. Figuring 15 miles per gallon at $3 a gallon, that's $480. To allow for sightseeing, I'd pad that some.

Cheapest gas in the San Diego area right now is $2.75 (Costco, members only, debit cards only) and Arco ($2.80, cash price, no credit cards, 50 cent per transaction debit card surcharge). Major brand card prices start at $2.90 and go over $3. It's all 10% ethanol and your gas mileage will suffer.

Default Some Sites

The Jeep Grand Cherokee is more of an SUV than an all-terrain 'jeep' and so, as long as your mechanic agrees, should be an excellent cross country road machine. The fact that it's fully enclosed also is a plus on a trip where you're transporting your belongings.

As you say, this can be a pretty straightforward trip on I-85/I-20/I-10 and nowhere along the Interstate system will you ever be alone, and almost never out of cell coverage. So I'd just put your worries aside and plan on enjoying a great adventure. Among the major attractions (we don't believe in generic lists of 'must sees' that apply to everyone) along your route are Stone Mountain, Vicksburg, Dealey Plaza, White Sands and Saguaro National Park, but there are lots of lesser known and visited spots along the way if you just look hard enough at the small print on the maps. Places like Gibsland, LA where Bonnie and Clyde got gunned down, Monahans Sandhills in west Texas, and the recently discovered living cave, Kartchner Caverns, outside Benson, AZ. Just drive with your mind and eyes open.

AZBuck