1. Default Some help please. New Mexico and Texas

Hi Everyone! This is my first post so I hope I am posting in the right spot.

I live in Toronto but I love the US. This summer I am planning to fly to Albuquerque NM and rent a car. Can anyone tell me if this is a good plan or if I should reconsider? I love to see awesome sights from the car and experience the "real" Texas and SW. Not interested in malls and big cities for this trip. Oh, and I should mention.. I have one week!

Albuquerque NM (planning on renting the car and heading straight for Santa Fe)
    Santa Fe (2 days)
    Amarillo Tx- (check out a bunch of neat things?? 2 days)
    San Antonio (remainder of trip here, and fly out from here)

Any comments or suggestions would be VERY much appreciated. I am trying my best to plan this but I am new at it.
    Thanks! :)

Default If That's What Works For You

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

If that's the area you want to see and that's the timeframe you have, your general plan is clearly the RoadTrip for you. That's the point of RpadTrips after all, the freedom to do and see what you want. So let me just offer a few suggestions for things you might enjoy. First, take the Turquoise Trail up to Santa Fe and then continue on the High Road to Taos. You can then take a relatively straight, but truly back road, drive to Amarillo by using US-64/NM-38/NM-120/NM-39 through Angel Fire, Wagon Mound, Mosquero and other small towns to hook up with I-40 near the New Mexico/Texas state line. Similarly, US-87 goes from Amarillo to San Antonio, although it does occasionally share alignment with Interstates 27 and 10. Mostly, just be open to the adventure of traveling through a new landscape and enjoying the experience, and you'll do fine.

AZBuck

3. Default

Thanks for the tips!
    I know that a week isn't much time for a roadtrip so I was trying to find a real good route where I could see some cool landscapes, do a few neat things and hopefully experience a little bit of honky tonk (lol). Will I get that with the route I have mentioned?
    Next year I will be able to do 2 weeks and can plan a bit more.

Quote Originally Posted by lovetexas
    I was trying to find a real good route where I could see some cool landscapes...
    The route that AZBuck has laid out from ABQ > Taos > to Amarillo would take you through some very scenic parts of New Mexico. I don’t think you’d be disappointed. One minor thing – where Buck wrote:

You can then take a relatively straight, but truly back road, drive to Amarillo by using US-64/NM-38/NM-120/NM-39 through Angel Fire, Wagon Mound, Mosquero and other small towns to hook up with I-40 near the New Mexico/Texas state line.
    I’m sure he meant “using US-64/NM-58”.