1. Default Road trip from Seattle to Ohio

My husband and I and his parents are on vacation May 7 - May 25, 2010. The first week of the trip we have an Alaskan cruise booked. After the cruise we are going to rent a car and drive from Seattle to Cleveland, OH. There are several things we want to see and do along the way and I'm looking for any tips anyone can offer. We are planning to leave Seattle and drive to the Redwood Forests in Northern California. From there to Yellowstone. We also want to see Mt. Rushmore. Any places along this route that are must-see's? Do you think 10 days is enough time to see all the things we want to see? We are all very excited about it and I'm trying to do my research to get everything in that we want to and still have time to "stop and smell the roses"!

Joplin MO

Seattle to Cleveland is 2400 miles by direct fastest route, and this is at least 4 very long driving days, more likely 5. If you want to see all the major attractions coming across, you will very quickly run out of time. Pick and choose very carefully.

Note that Yellowstone will not be fully open.

Tucson, AZ

Default Keep Moving

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

With the side trips you have planned, and the road closures in Yellowstone at the time of your trip, you are looking at over 3500 miles for your drive from Seattle to Cleveland. That would require 7 solid days of driving under normal circumstances, so with 10 available to you, you will have at least some minimal time to see a few things along the way. The main thing is, I think, that you'll need to keep up a fairly steady pace, covering several hundred miles each day while grabbing what short hikes and sightseeing you can to break up your days and make them enjoyable. Since you will have to enter Yellowstone from the West (West Yellowstone, ID) you should cross east through southern Oregon on OR-140/US-395/US-20 after visiting the northern California redwoods to join up with I-84 near Payette, ID. While following the Snake River, be sure to be on the watch for the Thousand Springs along the north side of the river. Then use I-86/I-15/US-20 to West Yellowstone.

Your route east from Yellowstone will depend on which roads are open. If the park roads to the East Entrance and US-14 are open and clear, that is your preferred exit route and you would just continue on US-14 across Wyoming to I-90, Devils Tower, Mount Rushmore and the Badlands. If that is not possible then I'd suggest that you leave by the North Entrance (Mammoth/Gardiner) and use US-89 north to I-90 which will still get you to the South Dakota sites and pass by the Little Bighorn Battlefield as well. After that it's just a straight shot on I-90 to Cleveland with a number of state and national parks and interesting cities giving you lots of opportunities for further adventures.

aspenedelen Guest

Being from South Dakota I am particular to Mt. Rushmore, the Needles Hwy, Chief Crazy Horse Monument (not quite finished), Badlands area, the big tourist trap called Wall Drug, and the Corn Palace in Mitchell, SD.