South Central Orange County

Default Advice on traveling up CA-49 through Gold Country

I plan on taking my family (my wife and 10-year old and 3-year old daughters) on a Gold-Rush-and-beyond-California-history tour in May for 4 days and 3 nights.

So far we are planning on going to Sutter's Mill State Historic Park, Columbia SHP, Empire Mine SHP, Sacramento (and the California Railroad Museum), and Virginia City (because the Comstock Lode contributed so much to the growth of California).

What do you recommend as far as specific places to see that would help my 10-year old daughter gain a better appreciation for the the history of the state? Do you recommend any places to stay that are inexpensive (i.e. $100 or less per night)?

We have been to Old Town Sacramento a number of times, and we will go again when we go to the Railroad Museum. We are particularly interested in Chinese immigration, gold and silver mining, and the Union Pacific Railroad.

BTW, we will be driving up there from So' Cal', so ghost towns and other historical places along the way are welcome, also. We can either take I-5 both ways or go up I-5 and come back via I-395.

South of England.

Default Have a look here.

Hi shirohniican,

There is a good chance you have stumbled across this site already, but if not it has plenty of info to help you on your way.

South Central Orange County

I hadn't seen that site before. Thank you for the link.

So far it looks we will take I-5 to Sacramento, US-50 over to Placerville and the Marshall Discovery SHP, CA-49 up to Grass Valley, I-80 over to Reno, US-395 down to Carson City, a side trip to Virginia City, and then back down US-395, across CA-88, down CA-49 to Columbia, down further to Yosemite (if we have time), and down US-99 back to I-5 and home.

I read about Indian Grinding Rocks SHP (along CA-88) in a book on the back roads of California, so we may stop there, also.

I wonder which of the many towns along CA-49 are more worthy than others of a closer look. The link should give me a lot of useful information. Thanks again.