Default Registering car in Canada

Hi guys,my first post and triky question:Is possible buy and register car in Canada with EU driving licence?
    Me and my gilrfriend planing roadtrip in USA,and as I find,is legaly imposible register car in any state with foregin DL. In Australia it was realy easy ....
    Thanks for any sugestion

Default Unlikely

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Unfortunately, we haven't been able to figure out how to do this for our own country yet! Your best bet is to start getting in touch with the provincial government where you plan to register and insure the vehicle and see what their requirements are.

AZBuck

Default Tell us your results

After you have made your enquiries, could you please come back and post the results here. It may be of help to others.

Lifey who has been thinking of going that way as well

So i sent couple of mails to locals with simple question:
    Hi there
    My name is Pavol from Slovakia.Im planing road trip in USA-Canada
    this year.I would like buy second hand car.It is possible register
    and insure car with EU driveing licence and passport in
    Saskatchewan?
    Thanks for answer.
    and here we are,some responses:

We would be unable to provide you with registration and insurance unless you were living in Saskatchewan, and the vehicle was only used in Saskatchewan. If you have further questions feel free to contact me directly.
    Thank you for your inquiry.

A non-Alberta resident may purchase and register a vehicle in Alberta, after buying Alberta auto insurance. Auto insurance in Alberta is provided by private insurance agents. Please note that some insurance agents may choose not to provide service to non-residents, you will have to contact insurance firms to find one that will provide the insurance you require.

You can find a listing of insurance companies operating in Alberta at the website http://www.finance.gov.ab.ca/publica...companies.html

To register a vehicle you will require proof of ownership (such as a bill of sale, lease agreement), proof of valid insurance and two pieces of identification. If the vehicle is new you will also require a new vehicle information statement (NVIS), or if the vehicle was imported into Canada, you will require a Vehicle Import Form from Transport Canada. Used Vehicles previously registered outside of the province require a safety inspection.

More information on registering a vehicle in Alberta is available at the website http://www.servicealberta.gov.ab.ca/577.cfm

IF YOU HAVE FURTHER QUESTIONS PLEASE CONTACT:
    Service Alberta
    Registries
    Box 3140
    Edmonton AB T5J 2G7
    Phone: (780) 427-7013
    Email: mv@gov.ab.ca
    Hello,

To register a vehicle in Québec, we will request a valid driver's licence (if not in english or french we will need an official translation) and a valid passport. For car insurance, please contact the Insurance Bureau of Canada :

http://www.bac-quebec.qc.ca/en/index.asp

For more information, I suggest that you contact our client information centre :

http://www.saaq.gouv.qc.ca/en/reach_us/phone.php

Thank you.

Lisa Lavoie

Centre de relations avec la clientèle

Société de l'assurance automobile du Québec
    Thank-you for contacting ServiceOntario.

A person is not required to have an Ontario license to be able to obtain
    vehicle plates in Ontario.

Information regarding buying and selling a used vehicle and registration
    requirements is located on the Ministry of Transportation website at:
    http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dan...cle/used.shtml

We hope you find this information helpful.

Wally
    Sr. Inquiry Officer, Contact Centre Services Branch
    ServiceOntario -- making it easier
    Visit us at: www.ServiceOntario.ca
    It looks like we are going to Toronto!!

Default Excellent!

brčo, Thanks for posting the replies you got from the various Canadian provincial governments. It looks like it is a lot easier to register a car in Canada as a foreign national than it is in the United States. We wish you the best of luck and look forward to hearing from you once you have completed the deal, with any further insights you may have gathered. Thanks again.

AZBuck

Quote Originally Posted by AZBuck View Post
    brčo, Thanks for posting the replies you got from the various Canadian provincial governments. It looks like it is a lot easier to register a car in Canada as a foreign national than it is in the United States. We wish you the best of luck and look forward to hearing from you once you have completed the deal, with any further insights you may have gathered. Thanks again.

AZBuck
    Thanks,and heres another

Hello Mr. Horvath

You have to be a Yukon resident with valid Yukon recognized insurance in order to register a vehicle here. Hope this info helps you.

Gwen