1. Default Las Vegas to San Francisco - via Death Valley and Yosemite

Hi guys - first time poster to this site, but let me commend you on its usefullness - its great!!!!
    I appreciate that there are many and varied threads regarding my chosen roadtrip route, but as we are planning a once in a lifetime trip to celebrate our honeymoon this summer, we are keen to get things right and therefore with to engage with the experts.

My wife2b and I will be embarking on a roadtrip this coming August as our honeymoon. We will be starting in Las Vegas and plan to drive through Death Valley, Yosemite, San Fran and then down Highway 1 to L.A via Monterrey and Santa Barbara.

We are content with the trip we have planned except for one leg of the journey. Currently our travel agent has us leaving Vegas and travelling to Furnace Creek where we will spend two nights. This will be followed by a 400mile trip the next day to Cedar Lodge El Portal in Yosemite.

My question is, would we be better staying one night in Furnace creek and then hitting the road again in the morning with the aim of having another stop on the way to Yosemite..........or would we be better staying longer in the Furnace Creek area followed by a longer stretch in one to Yosemite when we leave.

My travel agent has suggested a stop in Fresno or Bakersfield if we decide to split the journey to Yosemite in two, although i was looking at the map and thought a stay in Bishop on the way to Yosemite using Highway 395 may be a better route - scenery wise.

I would be grateful for any tips you may have.

Thank you in advance

Gareth (Wales, UK)

Default Sack him ! [kidding]

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

I think you are doing a better job than your travel agent !

This is why we encourage people to research and find places of interest to them and work on there trip for themselves, rather than finding someone willing to tell you where to go. Once they have done so we can offer a little advice to "fine tune" that trip.

Death valley is a wonderful place and worth an overnight stay [or more] but in August it will be extremely hot and I think you are right in thinking one night may be enough.

You are also correct in thinking that heading North on 395 towards Bishop and Lee vining and heading into Yosemite via Tioga pass [CA120] is more rewarding, it is a fantastic drive !

You don't say how long you have in Yosemite but it is a wonderful place so hopefully you can take the time and enjoy Tioga pass and the valley floor and have enough spare to drive up to Glacier point !

Congratulations by the way !

3. Default

Thank you very much for the response Dave and also the congratulations. This website is facinating and I could while away hours learning about "OutDoor" life and the many places I need to get to one day!!! ;-)

I have read alot about Tioga Pass and thought if I followed my travel agents route, i would head south once leaving Death Valley and miss places like Lone Pine and the Tioga Pass all-together - didn't sound like a good idea to me.
    It now looks like we will plan on taking the 395 up to Bishop on day two now and then follow it up to Lee Vining before taking the 120 west into Yosemite before attempting to cut down on Big Oak Road to El Portal Road where i believe our stop is located.

Glacier point looks to be a must. We are in Yosemite for 2 nights and it looks breathtaking. Roll On August.

All contributions to fine-tuning our honeymoon would be greatly recieved guys.

Thanks again!!

Gareth

Default Your welcome !

A couple of tips/pointers.

The locals route to Furnace creek is by way of Pahrump on 160 and then Ash Meadows/State line road to Death valley junction [Armagosa opera house] and then 190 takes you to Furnace creek. The view from Zabriske point on route is quite spectacular but the whole landscape is "other worldly" for us Brits. A side trip to Badwater and you will be at the lowest point in the USA. The 190/136 will take you across the park past the sand dunes at Stovepipe wells [with many photo ops along the way] to Lone pine where close by is Mount Whitney, the highest peak in the lower 48, not bad eh !

You might need to fill up with gas before heading into Yosemite and there is a station on the junction of 120 and 395 to do so. If you are peckish there is a great little diner out back called "Woah Nellies Deli" that serves great food ! Up the hill from the gas station you can get some nice views of Mono lake before continuing if you wish.

With 2 nights you will have time to go up to Glacier point but try and get there early next day, I expect it will busy.

San Fran is a great chance to take a boat trip to Alcatraz and get good views of the City and Golden gate bridge from aboard. The NPS link is the only official place to get a ticket and I would definitely recommend booking in advance if it appeals to you. Other attraction would include Pier 39 with it's great evening atmosphere and good food, China town, Union square and Coit tower amongst many others.

As you make your way down the coast check out "Hearst castle" tours, although I have not been on one yet they are very popular.

If you do want to take a Hearst Castle tour, reservations are essential in the summer. Spending a night in Cambria is a great choice on a honeymoon.

Make absolutely sure that the air conditioning is working in your rental car, it's strongly advised to stay out of Death Valley in the summer without it. I'd advise you to pick up a case of drinking water in a supermarket on the way out of Las Vegas - or in Pahrump (24 bottles should be no more than $5, buying them singly in a C-store is many times more expensive) - and keep it in the car, and have wide-brimmed hats and sunscreen to protect you from the intense sun.

Default Two of my favourites

When in Bishop, make sure you go to the bakery. It is absolutely fantastic. You can't miss it!

Consider doing the night tour of Alcatraz. As well as the amazing tour through the old prison, take some time to watch the lights of SF come on as daylight fades. A magic time and makes for great photos.

Lifey who has great memories of both

7. Default

Thank you all for the tips guys! I think we're off to book our honeymoon today..incorporating one night at furnace creek followed by a night at bishop! Looking at the map, do you think we will be ok getting to cedar lodge in yosemite? It is located on highway 140, el portal, CA95318! We plan on using Tioga Pass (120) from Lee vining and then taking 'Big Oak Road' which drops down to meet with Highway 140 (el portal rd). Does this sound viable to you guys?

Thanks again so much for all your help!!

Gareth

8. Default

Thanks once again to everyone for their help in planning out honeymoon this summer. It has now been booked and all we need to do now is wait and plan all the exciting things to see along the way. We decided on an extra stop in Bishop on the Death Valley to Yosemite leg and an extra stop in Pismo Beach on the Monterey to Santa Barbara leg. Hopefully this will avoid the need to rush as we "NEED TO BE SOMEWHERE!"

Our route has been finalised as:

Vegas (4nights) - Furnace Creek (1) - Bishop (1) - Cedar Lodge (El Portal, Yosemite) (2) , San Fran (4), Monterey (1), Pismo Beach (2), Santa Barbara (1), LA (4)

ROLL ON AUGUST!!!!

Gareth

Default Road Field Trip Report

Gareth, I can hardly wait to read the Road Field Trip Report.

ROLL ON SEPTEMBER!

I'd consider a night in Cambria instead of Pismo Beach. Examine both for the type of things that interest you.