Default 50th Birthday RoadTrip - Aug 2010...NEED HELP!!

Hi there...I pondered what I wanted to do for my 50th Birthday. I thought about a cruise or an all inclusive resort, then it hit me...I want to do something that I have never done. 7 day East Coast RoadTrip from Suffolk, VA to Niagara Falls, me and about 10 friends. I plan to leave Wed evening/night stops in Richmond, DC, B'more, etc. Any suggestions are welcome! I'm retired Army...did traveling then... i want to have some fun. I want to see some historic things, plays, party a little, rough it a little too. I was born and raised in Chesapeake, VA. Left home at age much of the East Coast I haven't experienced.

Tucson, AZ

Default A Suggestion

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Such a trip would be just the right size for a loop that takes 2-3 days up, takes 2-3 days in the Niagara Falls area, and then takes 2 days for a different route back. What I might do, then is go up through Washington and Baltimore and then follow the Susquehanna River and US-15 (basically) northward past Gettysburg, Williamsport, Watkins Glen, Letchworth State Park and the Erie Canal. Making sure that you have your passport for entry into Canada (and re-entry into the U.S.) a few of the places I've enjoyed are the town of Niagara-on-the-Laken at the mouth of the Niagara River in Ontario; the St. Catharines Museum/Welland Canal Centre in St. Catharines; the tour of the Falls (on the Canadian side) that goes through some of the tunnels behind the Falls for a unique view from the inside out; and maybe a short day trip up to Toronto. An alternative route for the way back would be to come down through western New York and Pennsylvania on US-62/US-119 (and connecting roads) with possible stops at the Lucy and Dezi Museum in Jamestown, NY, visits to the world's first oil fields in Titusville/Oil City, PA, Fort Necessity outside Uniontown, PA, down through the Shenandoah Valley to Montpelier in Charlottesville, and home.

Green County, Wisconsin

Default logistics

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

I'd say the big challenge will be making a trip like this happen in the logistic sense. How are you thinking of making this work with vehicles? In the best case, I think you've be looking at 2 large RVs or 2 large SUV/Vans. You might be able to cram everyone into a 15 passenger van, but that still might not leave much room for 10 people's gear.

I'd also mention that what generally seperates a roadtrip from an all-inclusive resort or a cruise is the ability to make a wide range of individual decisions - seeing and doing whatever you like. That's great when you've got a few people, but when you start getting into the double digits of people, its going to be a lot harder to get everyone to agree on what they want to do - unlike one of those other options where people can pick from a list, and go their own way for a while if they'd like.

I'm certainly not saying you shouldn't try to do this, but I think that is going to be your biggest issue. You can't just plan a list of things you want to do for a week, and expect 10 people to all agree that that's what they also want to do during that time.

Melbourne, Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Michael View Post
    Welcome to the RTA Forum!

I'd say the big challenge will be making a trip like this happen in the logistic sense...........
    That was my first thought.

You will need to add a considerable percentage to your driving time. Every extra person means for longer and more frequent stops. Even a roadside rest area stop can take three, four, (or more) times longer than normal estimated times.