1. Default kansas to california roadtip, help!

hey everyone! My husband, son, a few friends & I are roadtripping to san diego this summer to visit a family member, I have a few questions. Can some one help?
    I am really concerned about safety, i've heard of troubles driving through the deserts & also those horror movies freak me out lol. We want to leave wichita at night so we can drive through the night in a place we are familiar with so when we do reach the desert, it will be daytime. We want to drive straight there only stopping for gas, food, restroom breaks, etc. We are planning for the end of june or in july sometime.
    1) Is the desert really dangerous & if so, what should we look out for or worry about?
    2) What's the best route to take? quickest but scenic
    3) I've heard it will take about 21 hours straight there, does that sound about right?
    4) If we do decide to stop at tourist sites, what are some beautiful places to see?

We just started planning this so we are open to ideas. Tips on traveling are appreciated seeing as i've never roadtripping or drove long distances. Thanks so much!

Default The Most Dangerous Game

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Actually, none of the things you are worried about are even remotely as dangerous as the item you blithely pass over in a few words. The fact is that movie villains and weirdos exist only there, in the movies and desert driving is no more dangerous these days than any other form. The fact is that Wichita to Los Angeles is more like 27 hours when you factor in minimal stops for gas food and restroom breaks and slowdowns for traffic. And the single most dangerous thing you propose to do is to start off in the evening and drive through the night. I strongly suggest that you read the statistics on such endeavors before deciding that such a course of action is either wise or safe.

AZBuck

Default the real danger

I am completely in agreement, the desert far and away should be the least of your concerns. Its a lot like saying you're scared of going into any body of water because sharks live in water, while at the same time throwing rocks at a hungry Grizzly Bear. You're worrying about something that is done safely by millions of people each year, while not giving a second thought to something that is truely dangerous.

Wichita to Los Angeles should not be done as a straight through drive. Its just that simple. Leaving at night on a monday means you'll be driving through the night, all day the next day, and then through the night where you might arrive around dawn on wednesday. There's just no practical way for anyone to be getting enough rest to safely do that. Even making one overnight stop to get a full nights rest would still be really pushing your limits and is vastly more than we recommend. If you are really concerned about safety, you should be planning to stop to sleep twice.

I drive from Joplin MO to San Diego every winter. I take 3 full days when I'm in a hurry!

5. Default

the reason we want to leave at night is so we can drive through unfamiliar places in the daytime. we are going to change drivers every few hours so we can all rest.

Listen, you said you were "really concerned about safety." Getting proper rest is one of the most important things you can do to have a safe trip, and trying to sleep in a packed full moving car is not proper rest. If you are actually concerned about safety - and you should be of course - then you need to rethink your approach to this trip. Its really not any more complex than that.

Which is more important: seeing unfamiliar things during daylight (which you could still do while doing a far more reasonable and safe trip) or getting there without hurting yourselves or those with whom you share the road?

Default DEAD Tired!

Only yesterday I was watching a documentary, titled as above. Made, from recollection, in Canada, one of the experiments was a fit and healthy young guy - mid twenties - who had to drive this couple hundred metres, four times over. He was not going very fast, but on each run he had to follow a last minute signal.... make a last minute judgment. Three went fairly well, the fourth he crashed into the barrier.

Prior to the experiment he was sleep deprived, having had just nine hours of good sleep in a bed in 60 hours. He felt fine, and said he would hit the road feeling the way he did. At the end of the test he said that he felt a little tired from the intense concentration.

The computer analysis of his brain showed that his brain had actually gone to sleep no fewer than 18 times during the four runs. Each micro nap was between 3.6 secs and 13 secs, with an average of 7.6 secs. He was horrified when told.

Just stop and think of the results of a 10 sec micro sleep at 60 mph.... in that 10 secs you have covered more than a hundred metres. (However many yards that is.)

Lifey who puts safety on the road before safety in the desert

Answer these questions, please:

1. How many people are going to be in the vehicle?
    2. What type of vehicle is it?
    3. How many EXPERIENCED drivers will you have?

You may qualify for a "speed run" but I guarantee that you will all be cranky when you get to your destination. If you need to get there in that big a hurry, buy plane tickets and rent a car when you get there, you aren't going to accomplish any sightseeing on a speed run.