Default San Diego To Boston By Two Almost Retired Guys

Hard to find work in California for an engineer with some grey hair...and harder for a pilot with more grey than me. We have convinced our wives this is a must do bucket list thing and (walaa!!) will be headed out in a month or so. Plan on taking a couple of weeks, (plus or minus) to go across. I took the northern route back in 1991 on my way to San Diego from Boston...seeking different scenery this time.

Part of my question is regarding Route 66 that I see so much pro and con chatter about. Don't think we want to do the entire length by any stretch but looking for advice folks who have enjoyed certain parts.

Additionally, open for suggestions on places that other folks think is worthy of a some time from a couple of bucket guys who want to do some hiking and active outdoor stuff going across.

All sincere advice appreciated...

PS: New to Roadtrip America (it's probably obvious)

Thanks

Default Starting your list.

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

It's your bucket list so you should decide where to go, or at least put some dots on the map so we can make suggestions to fill in the gaps, but with so many options open to you at the moment any suggestions would be a stab in the dark.

With regards to route 66, it wouldn't be possible to travel end to end as it was decommissioned years ago although original stretches still remain today. You can find many '66 dedicated sites with lots of info as to where these are such as the famous stretch from Kingman through Seligman.

I would suggest searching the forums and do some map studying and when you have added to your bucket list, whether it be Vegas, Grand canyon, the amazing National parks of Southern Utah and Colorado, St Louis, Memphis and so on, once you have a line drawn we can add those suggestions.

It will be worth confirming whether this is a one way trip or return journey in the 2 week time frame.

Enjoy the forums and road trip planning pages, you will find a wealth of info

Default Great Suggestions

Thanks and we will do exactly as you suggest and come back when we have dots on our map.
    BTW: This is a one way trip as my friend is flying back and I am working on remodeling a home all summer.
    :-)

Default That's handy !

Quote Originally Posted by franconiaguy View Post
    Thanks and we will do exactly as you suggest and come back when we have dots on our map.
    BTW: This is a one way trip as my friend is flying back and I am working on remodeling a home all summer.
    :-)
    Good news, it gives you a nice amount of time to do some exploring along the way and have a little fun !

Will look forward to seeing what you have.