Thread: LA to NY

Default LA to NY

Hey there!

New to the forum :) I am looking to do the trip in, or around a 3 month time frame, but my friends and I would also like to go down south to florida, miami etc. do u suggest going from la to new york first then down? or should we go along the bottom through texas etc and then up to new york last? thanks!

p.s. does anyone have ideas or information about budget? how much the trip should/would cost, doesnt matter any which way people have done the trip just want to start getting an idea!
    Last edited by Southwest Dave; 02-03-2010 at 03:53 AM. Reason: Moved to it's own thread.

Default A little research !

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

Your routes will depend on your own personal tastes and what is the most appealing as you track from West to East so it's a good thing for you and your friends to sit down with a good map of the US and discuss what might be of interest to you. You don't say how many are travelling but take a look at this compatibility test and check that you are all on the same page. Some might want City's and nightlife others National parks and scenic wonders but with the time you have you can get a good mix of both. You also have time not to just head straight across the country but to detour just about anywhere !

As for budget, you really haven't given us enough info, the more of you sharing the costs of car rental and gas etc will reduce costs as will camping or using Hostels where possible. For everyone in your group who may be under 25 years of age and who wants to drive will add a significant surcharge to your rental. You can get a ball park figure for flights and car rentals using your search engine, you will have to get an idea of the choice of vehicle and miles you want to cover for fuel costs. Once you are in the US then $100 a day is widely used as a ball park figure but by sharing certain costs this could be reduced, but staying at the Hilton and partying every night wouldn't cut it, Lol!

Use a mapping program such as google maps and enter different routes, you can then "drop and drag" the blue line to take you off the direct route and start playing with possibilities, when you have had a sit down and decided on some points across the map let us know and we can start to help more.

Me being a "scenic freak" I would take a look at the National parks website for info where places like Yosemite, Grand canyon, Zion, Bryce canyon, Rocky mountain NP through California, Arizona, Utah and Colorado can be seen, with fantastic towns and scenery on route as well as at your destination points

Default From one Aussie to another

Quote Originally Posted by danimac View Post
    Hey there!

New to the forum :) I am looking to do the trip in, or around a 3 month time frame, but my friends and I would also like to go down south to florida, miami etc. do u suggest going from la to new york first then down? or should we go along the bottom through texas etc and then up to new york last? thanks!
    As Dave has already mentioned, the best thing you can do is get a large map of the US, and check out just how much there is to see along any given route... in any give area. Post-it notes on all the places fancied, and then start to rationalise a route. My preferred map is the large wall map put out by National Geographics. It has all the NP, Forests, SP, Cities and highways. But with three months.....

My first trip to the USA was for three months and covered some 20.000 miles, going coast to coast and border to border several times, as well as many routes and places in between. You really have the time to see as much as interests all of you.

Have you thought about doing a loop incorporating FL and NY, starting and ending in NY. If you are flying in and out of LA, it would avoid a drop off fee, which can come to several hundred of dollars.

Quote Originally Posted by danimac View Post
    p.s. does anyone have ideas or information about budget? how much the trip should/would cost, doesnt matter any which way people have done the trip just want to start getting an idea!
    The best way to get an idea of budget is to check out this thread, which has many budget ideas.

Enjoy the planning and come back and ask whatever you want to know. But you are going to have to let the experts here know how many of you there are, ages, interests and what months you will be travelling.

Lifey who is planning her fifth trip