1. Default 4 months across the usa by car

i am retired and planning a stay in the usa for about four months. I will be leaving quebec,canada and would like to cross trhe us states down to san diego ou san francisco on safe and quiet but meaningful roads...can you help me set an itinerary and evaluate the costs approximatively...

Green County, Wisconsin

Default facts needed

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

We'd love to help you, but right now, you just haven't told us enough and/or figured out enough for your self for us to be of much help.

The fact is, over 4 months and a trip that is covering the entire continent, its just not possible to start listing the places or routes that you might want to take. There are just too many options, and they are just too fundamental to the start of your trip for us to start until you've provided some sort of framework for your trip.

You also have told us nothing about what you are interested in, or how you like to travel (where you'll stay, what you'll be driving, etc), so its also really not possible for us to hazard much of a guess on a budget either at this time. There's just way too big of a range of possiblities.

There are a lot of resources on this site to help you take your first steps, but until you've got a better idea of where you'd like to go and how you like to travel, no one else is going to be able to help much.

laplaya Guest

I live in Ontario. Two trips that I can suggest are Route 66 and The Historic Lincoln Highway. I drove Route 66 during the summer of 2008 and I drove The Historic Lincoln Highway during the summer of 2009. If you want to know more, I wrote a blog and included photos of each of the trips. There is a link to my blog in my online profile.

Melbourne, Australia

Default Depends on how adventurous you are.....

Richard, my first trip to the USA (3 months long), I knew nothing about the place... not even where the Grand Canyon is. After landing at LAX, I hit the road - good maps on board - and along the way discovered a treasure-trove of places and sights which not only I never knew existed, but many of them the sort of thing which will never make it into tourist literature. Wherever you are, the locals are your greatest, and most accurate source of information. True, I may not have seen all, or even much, of what most folk regard as 'must-sees'; on the other hand, I saw a lot of what most folk will never see. That trip I covered well in excess of 20.000 miles.

And as a solo female, I was a lot older then than you are now. :-)

Lifey who loves winging it