1. Default Driving fROM las Vegas to San Fran

Hi everyone
    My girlfriend & I are from Ireland therefore we have not driven in Nevada or California before so we are looking for advice for our road trip in the middle of December 2010. On our first day of the trip from Las Vegas we will be heading to Alta Sierra in California via Beatty (on the 95) then driving through Death Valley & onto Alta Sierra. We plan to stay the night at Alta Sierra.
    Can Alta Sierra be reached from Las Vegas during December daylight hours? If not where is a good place to stay after driving through Death Valley?

The following day we will then drive to Sequoia National Park on the 155, 65 & 198. Stay one night before heading to Yosemite National Park for 2 nights. On the final day we will drive to San Francisco.

Will the roads I have named be passable during the months of December?
    Is it a good or bad idea to drive through Death Valley?
    Any ideas on how to improve our journey?
    We really want to see Sequoia, Yosemite & Death Valley while taking the most scenic route possible.

Thanks in advance

Green County, Wisconsin

Default homework +

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

You've done a nice job on the research - but perhaps too good. Alta Sierra is a pretty unusual place to plan to stop, but it is on a logical route.

Actually, I'm not aware of any motels there at all. There is a ski resort around there, but I'm not sure there is any lodging attached. In any case, staying in Lake Isabella/Kernville will probably be a better option - with many more motel choices.

CA-155 in general is a mountain road that is subject to chain restrictions. While its shorter distance wise, it could take more time than taking CA-178 through the scenic Kern River Canyon to Bakersfield and back north.

Otherwise, I think you've got a very solid trip planned out.

Joplin MO

December is probably one of the best times of the year to drive through Death Valley, because you will not have to deal with its extreme summer heat.

A better way to get to Death Valley from LV than through Beatty is the "locals route" - take 160 to Pahrump, then Bell Vista Ave which takes you to Death Valley Junction on 127, and a short jog puts you on 190 into the park.

The Netherlands

It's a good idea to drive through DV and I'd take the route Glc described. I would not want to drive via Alta Sierra. If you want to travel and see a bit of DV I'd drive Las Vegas-Death Valley to Ridgecrest and spend the night there. Next day via Mojave and Bakersfield to Sequoia NP. You'll need to have chains in the car.

5. Default

Thank you all for your help. They have been of great help to us in our road trip planning.