1. Default March roadtrip - South Carolina to southern California

I will be doing a roadtrip in mid-March from South Carolina (Greenville) to southern California.

I have done some research and narrow it done to two main routes:

1. I-40 - Through Atlanta, Birmingham, Memphis, Oklahoma, Alburqueque, Flagstaff and to California.

2. I-70 - Through Knoxville, St. Louis, Kansas City, Denver, Utah, Las Vegas and to California.

My research is saying that the driving and scenery will be more interesting on the I-70 route; but the cities I will pass through on the I-40 are more interesting. Is this correct?

Which route would you guys recommend? Or maybe you have a third route that you would recommend.

I have about 5 to 7 days to do this one-way roadtrip and my focus for this roadtrip is on scenic driving and great food. I have never been to any of the major cities on both routes.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts from the forum members.

Default Your choice

Quote Originally Posted by pyc516 View Post
    I have done some research and narrow it done to two main routes:

1. I-40 - Through Atlanta, Birmingham, Memphis, Oklahoma, Alburqueque, Flagstaff and to California.

2. I-70 - Through Knoxville, St. Louis, Kansas City, Denver, Utah, Las Vegas and to California.

My research is saying that the driving and scenery will be more interesting on the I-70 route; but the cities I will pass through on the I-40 are more interesting. Is this correct?

Which route would you guys recommend?
    This is the most interesting part of planning a roadtrip.... the decisions which need to be made to put one interest over another. No one can really say which route would be more interesting for you. And even if we did, it is you who has to decide, it is your trip.

Lifey who has driven both

Default Agreed.

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

Lifey has summed up what the road trip is all about, you choosing where you want to go and how long you have to do it in. It's when you have done this that we can then help to make suggestions and "fine tune" your trip. With 5 days you won't have a lot of time for detours and sight seeing so the extra 2 could make a difference in your final decision. If you could add another couple you could really start to mix things up a bit and do some sight seeing.

Have a look around the forums and road trip planning pages for no end of ideas !

Default extremely oversimplified

I completely agree with the points already made, however, in addition, I want to disagree with your premise.
    I would say that isn't correct, or at the very least its an extreme-oversimplification.

First, I would really disagree with the idea that the cities are less interesting along I-70. St. Louis, Kansas City, Denver, and Las Vegas are some of my favorite cities in the US, and there's a lot to do and a lot of history in all of those places.

Second, I certainly wouldn't discount the scenery along I-40. This route doesn't have quite the in your face elements that you'll get crossing the Colorado Rockies, it does have a lot of things in its own right. The trip through New Mexico and Arizona still has mountain beauty, with places like the Petrified Forest, and Sedona right near the highway, and The Grand Canyon is just an hour away. Plus much of this route follows the path of old Route 66, so there are lots of interesting sites and detours related to the historic highway that you can also include.

The great thing is that there are no right or wrong answers, just choices - and tough choices at that.