laplaya Guest

Default Where to buy a cloth or flag map of the USA

Hello, I have travelled across the US 2 times now and at each stop that I do, I buy a hat pin. My intention is to find and purchase a Map of the USA that is either on cloth or a flag type material. It does not have to be a road map, but just a map that shows the outlines of each state and then I can place my hat pins on the map where they belong. I have a large wall that I can hang this and display it. My feeling is that a papermap will just rip and tear, so cloth would be more durable. Has anyone ever seen such a map in their travels. I ask at every stop I make, but no one has anything like it for sale. Thanks.

Default Ye$

Such maps exist, but tend to get expensive. They're made for the educational market (K-6) where, as you point out, paper maps would rip and tear in short order. You can find them on-line by just doing a search on 'cloth map USA', but they run $150-200.

AZBuck

laplaya Guest

The price sounds reasonable to me, I will check out google as you suggest.

My dad had something similar when I was a kid - he glued a big paper map to the wall in his office and surrounded it with molding strips, so it looked like a big framed picture. He used different colored pushpins to signify things. I don't remember what the exact significance was, but I think it was something to do with his business, he was a traveling salesman at the time.

laplaya Guest

That would work nicely if I was using standard push pins, however I have made a point of purchashing hat pins at every stop that I made on 2 recent road trips across the USA and return. My idea for a cloth map is that I can just pin it to the wall along the top, and then I can pull it away from the wall to install each hat pin in its proper location. Also if I ever move, I can just roll or fold up the map with all the hat pins still attached and then transport it to my next residence.

Perhaps these people may have something to fill the bill. I would think that a map in wallpaper form would be durable enough.

laplaya Guest

Wow, great site, I just emailed them to see if they will ship to me in Canada.