1. Default From East to West

Hi..My husband and I would like to take a road trip across the US in approximately 5 weeks this summer. We will be starting from FL and would like to go to New Orleans, Austin, Arizona (grand canyon), Cali (LA, SF and San Diego, visit Yosemite), go to Seattle, Montana, Wyoming, Chicago, then to Savannah and finally end up in Florida. Any advice would be appreciated....

Green County, Wisconsin

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

Really the best thing I can tell you us to make the trip your own. There is no such thing as a one size fits all roadtrip, and when you are literally doing a lap around the US, there are millions of things you could do and there just is no way for us to even start narrowing them down for you (especially when you've told us nothing about what you might be interested in, what your budget is, etc).

The best thing I could tell you is simply to spend some time looking around, looking at maps, and reading to get as many ideas as you can and go from there!

Tucson, AZ

Default The Process

Planning your first RoadTrip can certainly be intimidating. For a taste of the basic process that I recommend, take a look at this request/answer. In your case, the route is considerably different but the process is pretty much the same. Start with a 'backbone route of I-10, I-17, I-40, I-5, I-90, I-65, I-74, I-75 I-40, I-26, I-95 and see what the major sights are along those roads. Besides the one's you've listed there are also San Antonio, Carlsbad Caverns, White Sands, the Pacific Coast Highway, Crater Lake, Yellowstone, the Badlands, the Great Lakes, the Appalachian Mountains and a host of other venues. Start pouring over maps of those routes as Michael suggested and see what else is available. As your plans firm up, we can be of more help as a sounding board. But if you want to make this a trip that you will remember, then you have to do some of the legwork (and dreaming) or else you might as well be on a tour.

Last edited by AZBuck; 01-31-2010 at 05:51 PM. Reason: Typos