1. Default Toronto to Los Angeles

I am looking into a road trip/move from Toronto to Los Angeles.
    Im not sure if this is possible but i want to do a slow trip, maybe stopping off in towns and working in between driving. So i would plan to take two to three months to get there.
    I wont be leaving with a lot of money, hence the working, also i would most likely be sleeping in my car or camping.
    Does anyone know if it is easy to get temp jobs in small towns?

Another inquiry i had was which route to take.
    My first choice is more north,
    Michigan>Illinois>Iowa>Nebraska>Colorado>Utah>Neva da>California

Or south
    Michigan>Indiana>Kentucky>Tennessee>Alabama>Missis sippi>Arkansas>Texas>New Mexico>Arizona>California

I want to experience the amazing views and landscape rather than big cities.

Any advise or tips would be much appreciated.

Melbourne, Australia

Quote Originally Posted by intothewild View Post
    Does anyone know if it is easy to get temp jobs in small towns?
    Some hostels allow you to work for a given number of hours per day/week, in exchange for free accommodation. May be something worth checking out. You would need to contact every hostel individually and route your trip accordingly.

Last edited by Lifemagician; 01-28-2010 at 06:30 AM.

Green County, Wisconsin

Default a little of each?

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

Well, your plan to work while you are on the road is a little problematic, on several different levels.

First, as I'm sure you've heard, this isn't exactly a great time to be looking for a job. With unemployment being at 10%, and under-employment (people with part time or temp jobs who want full time work) being around 20%, even temp jobs are going to be very hard to come by. When you aren't a local and have no ties to an area, its going to be that much more difficult to find work.

Then of course there is the legal issues. If you are a Canadian citizen, you can't just come to the US and work. In fact, since you are coming to the US with little cash and a plan to live out of your car, its quite likely that you will be denied entry into the US altogether unless you already have a work visa in place.

Now if you can get those issues worked out, then the ball is in your court. 2-3 months is plenty of time to do either of those routes - or even a mix of both of them. You can find amazing views no matter which way you go, so its really going to be a matter of where you'd rather be.