1. Default Road trip from San francisco to Miami

Hello everyone,
    Me and my girl friend are planning to our first road trip from San Francisco to Miami. We are not from USA and we want to experience American life and everything. We want to spend most of our time in Florida and also we want to see some American Indian places (i don't know how to call). We are planning to live on end of March. We bought a toyota corolla for this trip. We need any recomandation. it would be our first road trip. Can you please give us some recomandation? What shoul we take for this trip? Where should we visit? etc.....
    Thank you all................

Default Time?

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

You tell us when you are leaving but not how long you have to complete the journey ?

I think at this point you sit down with a good map of the US and see what places sound of interest to you and then use the search button on RTA to gather more info. The beauty of the road trip is to go where you want to go and not have some one telling you where you should go. Once you have decided on some places and have some dots on the map we can certainly help piece your trip together and make some recommendations but we don't do "must sees" as we are all different.

We are not from USA
    We bought a toyota corolla
    Have you relatives in the USA ? If not could you explain how this is possible.

The question from non residents, "Can I buy a car, register and insure it when visiting the USA" comes up quite a lot here, and we have never found a definitive answer unless you have a relative in the USA who is willing to take on the responsibility of registering and insuring it.

Have a look at the map and RTA pages and when you have some dots on the map and know how much time you have, let us know and we can make suggestions.

Default Insurance and Registration??

Yes, please do tell us: how did you register and insure this car, if you are not a resident of the USA?

Many of us want to do the same. It is easy to buy a car. It is the insurance and registering which to date has not had a satisfactory answer.

Lifey would like to do that too

4. Default Than you all

Thanks for the quik replies. First of all, we are planing to leave 26 or 27th of march. We want to go for 15 days, it can be littile bit more. We want to see grand canyon( any suggestion for Arizona), we want to see Texas but we don't know yet where should we go in Texas. We want explore Florida a lot. Because we want to live in Florida. So far this is what we want but of course we still have 2 months to think about more. We need any suggestions. Well,I want to answer your car questions. I had California residence so I didn't have any problem. But, I know some states you can register your car on your name and also you can get insurance for your foreign driving license. you should just google for the states. Than you all for the quick replies again

Default Specifics?

Quote Originally Posted by seckinerol View Post
    ... I had California residence so I didn't have any problem.
    That is the key.... now let's look at those who do not have any USA connection.

Quote Originally Posted by seckinerol View Post
    But, I know some states you can register your car on your name and also you can get insurance for your foreign driving license. you should just google for the states. Than you all for the quick replies again
    If you know, could you please post here those states which allow it, and the names of insurance companies which will cover foreign driver's licences.

Or have you only heard it on the grapevine.... like I have. And when asked for specifics, no one has so far been able to produce them.

Lifey who has been searching for more than eight years

Default resident?

So you obtained California residency? So you're in the US on a long term visa? That is a very big distinction, and is very important for anyone looking to purchase a car. Despite what you've heard, the reality is, without those things its virtually impossible to purchase a car, register it, and get insurance, and we've never had anyone have success legally purchasing a car without becoming a resident of the US.

Default Back to your question.

First of all, we are planing to leave 26 or 27th of march. We want to go for 15 days, it can be littile bit more. We want to see grand canyon( any suggestion for Arizona), we want to see Texas but we don't know yet where should we go in Texas.
    With a journey that takes 6 or 7 days to cross the country you certainly have time to explore and as I suggested earlier, doing some research and putting a few more dots on the map will help us to help you as there are so many options.

A couple of pointers for the Western part of your trip would first of all to be spend a couple of days in San Fran and discover some of this great little City. China town, Union square, Pier 39 are all great attractions and a boat trip to Alcatraz is highly recommended. Personally I would then check out Yosemite NP, a wonderful place. [but you might prefer the spectacular coastal route 1 around Big Sur] The high ground in Yosemite will be closed due to winter snows so you will won't be able to cross the Sierras and will need to head South towards Fresno and Bakersfield. On the way to Grand canyon you could detour across the Mojave National preserve or a larger detour could take you across the amazing landscape of Death valley to Las Vegas. From the Grand canyon a visit to the tribal lands of Monument valley and continuing on through the Four corners region and down to Albuquerque would be possible. From there you could travel across to Memphis or down to New Orleans, but going back to the beginning, only you can decide from many, many options and that's where the research comes in. At least that might give you a building block I hope.

Enjoy the planning !

The Great Midwest, Illinois to be precise

Default Route 66

South of the Grand Canyoun, you can get on Route 66 for a real slice of Americana.

It will be running alongside I-40 from there to Amarillo (make sure to check out Cadillac Ranch and eat at the Big Texan).