1. Default Boston to LA in 1.5 weeks?

Hello, this is my first post here!

I plan to take a road trip from Boston to Los Angeles in the span of 1.5 weeks in June. I will be driving solo. I have never done anything like this before. The longest road trip I have done previously was from Chicago to Boston.

I would love to get your feedback on which routes I should take and which states I should go through.

My priorities are:

1. Scenic roads - I would love to check out beautiful mountain roads, curvy roads and etc.

2. Safety - Perhaps, I watched too many horror movies about road trips. However, I would like to avoid any places that could potentially be hostile to strangers, or driving on completely rural roads where I do not see other human beings or gas stations for hours.

3. Finally, Places I do not have to go (I have already been to these palces): Niagara Falls, Chicago, St. Louis, Grand Canyon, Sedona, Las Vegas.

4. Misc. - I have always felt conscious about my ethnicity whenever I travel to rural parts of the country. I feel a bit "uncomfortable" being in places that are ethnically conservative.

Any comments would be really appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Default A little research.

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

With 6 full days of driving you certainly have time to do some sight seeing along the way and although there are plenty of options for you too consider, Colorado would certainly hit the criteria for some beautiful curvy mountain roads with some great alpine scenery, mix that with some National parks of Southern Utah such as Arches, Bryce canyon and Zion and it would offer some spectacular scenery and driving roads through that section of your trip. Check out the Million dollar highway in Colorado and scenic byway 12 in Utah, they are wonderful.

You would have trouble finding a place in the US where you don't see another human being or gas station for hours, unless you done some serious off roading. Safety shouldn't be an issue if you use the same common sense practice that you do at home, after all every place is some ones home town.

Have a look through the RTA pages and use the search button and key words to find info on places that you think might be of interest to you. Once you start to put some dots on the map we can help you fill in the gaps but for now a little research is called for.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Southwest Dave View Post
    Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

With 6 full days of driving you certainly have time to do some sight seeing along the way and although there are plenty of options for you too consider, Colorado would certainly hit the criteria for some beautiful curvy mountain roads with some great alpine scenery, mix that with some National parks of Southern Utah such as Arches, Bryce canyon and Zion and it would offer some spectacular scenery and driving roads through that section of your trip. Check out the Million dollar highway in Colorado and scenic byway 12 in Utah, they are wonderful.

You would have trouble finding a place in the US where you don't see another human being or gas station for hours, unless you done some serious off roading. Safety shouldn't be an issue if you use the same common sense practice that you do at home, after all every place is some ones home town.

Have a look through the RTA pages and use the search button and key words to find info on places that you think might be of interest to you. Once you start to put some dots on the map we can help you fill in the gaps but for now a little research is called for.
    Thanks so much for your suggestion on how to get this started!! I will do some digging and reach out to members for additional / specific ideas!!

Having done all or parts of this route ever so many times, and always favouring scenic routes to interstates, may I suggest the following....

No doubt you have spent time in rural MA, but if you haven't, routes 62, 202 and 9 around Quabbin Reservoir are incredibly scenic, though not mountainous.

I-88 from Albany to Binghamton is a wonderful drive. It just tops one crest after another, and the bonus is, there is very light traffic on this road. One of the interstates I really enjoy driving.

Then there is route 6 through Pennsylvania from Scranton to Smethport, at which point you have the choice of 6 or 59 to Warren. Actually, route 6 is not so much a route, as a destination in itself. I am sure a little research will show just how much there is to see, and the numerous small towns and villages along the way. Two things which come to mind instantly are the Grand Canyon of Pennsylvania (allow some time for a hike) and the remains / ruins of the Kinzua Bridge. It is a slow road, with ever so much to see, and well worth taking your time over.

Lifey who loves the scenic biways of PA

5. Default

Thank you very much!

Would you happen to have any more suggestions on scenic routes in the Midwest?

I plan to take Southwest Dave's advise and drive through CO and UT. I want to see what the most scenic routes would be to get to these states from the Midwestern section of the country.

Thank you.