1. Default 1st time Roadtripper; looking for great sites and good camping

Traveling from Denver, Co to Phoenix, AZ. Got about 7 days. Wanna spend some time camping in the desert and make a road trip adventure out of the route. No hotels, wanna rough it. Needing suggestions on great camping spots, scenic routes, chill places to visit.

Tucson, AZ

Default Start With...

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

From the fact that you posted this in the Spring Road Trips section and the fact that you want to see desert, I'd say your best bet is to generally follow the basic interstate route of I-25 south, I-40 west and I-17 south. That alone is a two day drive, but as you are able to add more time, you can add places like Taos, Santa Fe, the Painted Desert and Oak Creek Canyon. for camping, be sure to have a look at the nations forests en route such as Carson, Santa Fe, Cibola, Apache-Sitgreaves and Kaibob, making sure to ask about dispersed or distributed camping if you want cheap and alone no services).

3. Default Good resources to look at

To follow from the last post, National Forests are good - a useful resource is where the website owners actually have traveled to these places and write about them quite comprehensively. Another good resource for finding campground is where you can actually do a town by town radius search and find places to stay. Most campgrounds in the area that you are traveling through will range anywhere from $10 - $20 per night for tent, some Corps of Engineers sites / Bureau of Land anagement places are free. Best way for a budget.

South of England.

Default None desert.

Depending on how you want to balance your desire and time to get to desert terrain against scenic routes from Denver, some other things to consider as well as Bucks recommendations would be a drive through Pike National forest to Woodland park, Pikes peak, Manitou springs [Garden of the gods and cave of the winds] Royal gorge bridge, [Canon city] Great sand dunes NP and Taos pueblo.

Melbourne, Australia

Great camping, both in and near the Great Sand Dunes National Park, and very inexpensive. But you have to be aware that virtually every afternoon a storm rolls in. Some spectacular rainbows and the storms give great light variation for photography.