1. Default Questions re the Grand Canyon..argh,,please help!

Hi there, we are flying to vegas for a few nights then driving to death valley for a few, we then plan to trael to the South Rim via Laughlin and Williams ove a couple of days. We plan to stay at the South Rim for three nights before heading back to vegas.
    Firstly is there any way of seeing the Skywalk without going there on the way back to vegas as this will add quite a bit of mileage. Obviously we don't want to drive it during our stay as we will then be going back East to the hotel to go back again if that makes sense! I can't find any tours from the South Rim either. Maybe it's not worth it? What do you think?
    Any help much appreciated!

Default Fly from Vegas?

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

The Skywalk is on Indian lands away from the National park area so other than quite a lengthy detour either on the way to the GC or on the way back to Vegas, the only other option would be to take a tour from Vegas, possibly in a helicopter/flight package.

Is it worth it ? Only you can decide whats best for you but it doesn't seem to have won too many friends since it's introduction but I have not personally been there to make a meaningful comment.

Default Welcome!

Welcome to the RoadTrip America Forum!

Quote Originally Posted by Laura777 View Post
    Firstly is there any way of seeing the Skywalk without going there on the way back to vegas as this will add quite a bit of mileage.!
    Given your route, I would say to fit it in while on your way to the South Rim from Laughlin, but that's still going to add some time. This is unavoidable what with the distances of the West and having a giant canyon in the way of most roads. How much time in total do you have?

I can't find any tours from the South Rim either.
    What specific type of tour are you looking for in this case? The South Rim is by far the most popular area to visit in the Grand Canyon, so finding a tour to there should not be difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by Laura777 View Post
    I can't find any tours from the South Rim either.
    I did not find any tours from the south rim to the skywalk either. I don't think there are any. Perhaps a flight from LV, over the west rim, is the only way you would get to see it.... short of the extra driving.

Lifey

The road to the Skywalk is unpaved, and driving it in a rental car will probably violate the rental agreement.

6. Default Thanks for the info!

Hi, thanks very much for your comments, think we will prob leave it and maybe do it from vegas as we have to have the car back in vegas for 12 noon! Its a shame its so much of a detor really! Thanks again guys!

Default I've heard similar

Quote Originally Posted by Southwest Dave View Post
    Is it worth it ? Only you can decide whats best for you but it doesn't seem to have won too many friends since it's introduction but I have not personally been there to make a meaningful comment.
    My boss said he went out there a few months back and wasn't too impressed with the overall experience, as compared to just going to the South Rim and viewing the Canyon from there.