1. Default Yellowstone to Seattle

we are planning a trip in September flying into Yellowstone from San Francisco (Billings or Jackson?), then driving to Seattle. Any ideas or suggestions on how long this drive should take with sightseeing stops etc would be appreciated.

Joplin MO

Driving point-to-point without sightseeing is 800 miles, which is 2 easy driving days.

Tucson, AZ

Default A Few Details to Help You Plan

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

You'll do slightly better on both the airfare and the car rental price by flying into Billings rather than Jackson Hole (the name of the valley and the airport - the town is just Jackson) and the drive into Yellowstone via the Beartooth Highway (US-212) is spectacular. At around 215 miles it can also probably be done on the day you fly as well. Yellowstone to Seattle is 775 miles, so too much for a single day's drive. Coeur d'Alene, ID would make a nice overnight, and the entire drive is quite scenic with quite a few mountain ranges, national forests and state parks along the way.

4. Default

Thanks for the info, advice about Billings is just what I am looking for. We are prepared to take a few days to drive to Seattle if it is worthwhile with interesting things to see and do along the way and of course reasonable places to stay.....Aussietravellers

Melbourne, Australia

Default Things to see and do along the way

As already mentioned, Beartooth Highway is a spectacular drive, but don't be mislead by the distance/time. I was told that the drive from Red Lodge to Cooke City is about three hours... and with photo stops, took me almost four hours. But it is so worth it.

If you have a few days to do the drive to Seattle, may I suggest that you go through magnificent central Idaho. Route 20 from Idaho Falls to Carey will take you via the Craters of the Moon NM, route 75 to Stanley and the Sawtooth Mountains, Ponderosa Highway, rt 21, through Garden Valley to route 55 and down to Boise. Boise is a lovely place, but can get a bit pricey. You then take I-84 to the Columbia River Gorge and all the scenic attractions along it. Then up to Seattle, and if you have time, stop off at Mt St Helens and Mt Rainier.

And make sure you get to see Pike Place Market and the Melbourne Tram in Seattle. The Library is also a unique building and well worth checking out. When it first opened they had free tours through it explaining why it was built the way it is built, but that was some time ago. Not sure if they still do them.

Lifey who really felt at home in Seattle
    Last edited by Lifemagician; 01-16-2010 at 08:00 PM. Reason: clarification

6. Default

All sounds great, we will check it out as we really do want to see as much as possible. After Seattle we are heading to Vancouver so any advice there would be helpful, also plan to spend at least 5 days in that area....Aussietravellers

Melbourne, Australia

Default Vancouver

I sincerely hope you have a detailed map of these areas, as without it, you really cannot get an idea of just how much there is and what you want to spend your time on.... and more important, the decision whether to see more and see it less, or see less and have a chance to really explore.

I could easily spend 5 days (or more) exploring the country along the Sea to Sky Highway from Vancouver to Cache Creek. There are the lovely little towns of Squamish, Whistler (you will meet more Aussies than Canadians here) and Lillooet, not to mention the glacier lakes and other scenic attractions. And I have not even mentioned Vancouver Island.

You will need to decide on which attractions you'd like to focus.

Are you sure you can take your rental car into Canada? If so, be aware you will not be able to drop it off in Canada. Also, if you are a member of an automobile club, such as the NRMA and RACV, make sure you take your membership card with you. It gives you access to tourism information and free maps from the AAA both in the US and Canada.