1. Default Around California + Vegas in Sept

hi,

My name is James and me and 2 of my friends from Liverpool England are planning a road trip around California/Vegas for September for three weeks. Ive never done anything like this before and i have made a list of things i need to evaluate! I have read through a few of the Vegas threads and they have been mighty helpful!

The main driver will be 23 and I have already seen reasonable prices for car hire for the 3 weeks about £800. We will be flying in to San Francisco driving down to LA (with stops in-between) then across to Vegas then back to SF! I realise this to be a 2k mile round trip after we get lost and go to other places im guessing at 4,000 miles 18mpg $700 fuel at $3.05 a gallon.

We are planning on staying in hostels in the city's and camping between! With us coming in September though i was wondering if many camping sites will be closed? Were planning on coming down route 101 along the beaches!

Apart from my flight and car hire, I was wondering if anybody could help me with trying to make a figure of how much money I will need whilst travelling. I was thinking $25 a day food but I'm not sure on accommodation prices!

Also are there any must see sites in California whilst I'm there or must do things?

Thanks

James

2. Default

hi again sorry for the double post!

After looking further than my nose i have found examples of each leg of the journey plus other suggestions to add to it which is wicked!

But my main real concern is accommodation and whether it it better for us to camp or hotel motel? We are students so we dont have massive budgets but at the same time its not super on budget. Any suggestions welcome!

Thanks!

Default Camping lifestyle

The area in which you are planning to travel is abundant with camp sites, both those in nature - National and State Parks - as well as commercial campgrounds. Not sure what you mean when you say "......at the same time its not super on budget." Camping in September can be a fantastic choice. It is still warm (though likely not as hot as August) which could very well mean that other campers are also out and about, and with it goes a wonderful opportunity to meet other travellers and holiday makers. An opportunity to share notes, find out about the road ahead, attractions and special points of interest, etc. etc.

Lifey who wishes you well

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Lifemagician View Post
    "......at the same time its not super on budget."
    Sorry for being unclear, I meant we don't have much money to play with about $1700 to spend day to day on accom and food and other activities with our plans to camp do you think this is a reasonable figure? I put aside money for rent of vehicle + petrol. So that would be my day to day purse. Im just worrying I'm not going to be able to get enough money together in time!

And thanks for your reassurance on the camping situation i prefer to camp then hotel tbh I love the outdoors!!!

And thanks to the site the amount of really good threads about this very trip is extremely helpful!

Camp sites can be between $20 and $40, much cheaper if you don't need electricity hook up. I would probably average out at $25, that would not catch you short. Some campgrounds charge extra for a third person, but it is normally not much.

I have camped a lot, but not in that area of the States. However if you look at the National Parks website, you will see what most of the national parks charge for camping, and commercial campgrounds usually charge a bit more. Of course to get a more accurate idea, you can always search the places you are thinking of and put in 'camping' or 'campgrounds'. Most have their rates on their site.

One search which I have always found interesting, but have never got the chance to use, is 'free camping USA'.

Lifey

Default Some thoughts.

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

In my book, September/Oct are 2 great Months of the year to travel, not to hot, very colourful and not so many people ! From Vegas back to SF I would certainly recommend Death valley through Yosemite via Tioga pass route [CA120] that you have probably already discovered on the forums. With 3 weeks the Grand canyon wouldn't be out of the question either.

To camp in places such as Yosemite and GC I would recommend booking well in advance. The campgrounds have shower/loo blocks but no hook ups and should be under $20 per night.

I meant we don't have much money to play with about $1700 to spend day to day
    We ? Is that for the 3 of you or per person ? At $80 a day per person you should be fine, but for the 3 of you, well I wouldn't like to try. When we travel to the States we cut back on things at home for the Months prior to leaving like eating out or partying with your mates and when we have a few quid saved we keep an eye on the exchange rates on the web and buy a few Dollars locally each time they reach a "high."

We find it more rewarding to sacrifice a little at home for those extra treats on holiday !

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Southwest Dave View Post
    Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

From Vegas back to SF I would certainly recommend Death valley through Yosemite via Tioga pass route [CA120] that you have probably already discovered on the forums. With 3 weeks the Grand canyon wouldn't be out of the question either.

To camp in places such as Yosemite and GC I would recommend booking well in advance. The campgrounds have shower/loo blocks but no hook ups and should be under $20 per night.

We ? Is that for the 3 of you or per person ? At $80 a day per person you should be fine, but for the 3 of you, well I wouldn't like to try!
    hi,

yer i gave seen the death valley stuff sounds wicked! we will deffo be going through there!

And thanks for the camping guidelines ill start looking through sites now!

And no sorry that is per person so cool youv'e made me feel a whole lot better on the situation!

Booked my flights today got a stop off in New York for 3 days as well im made up!

Default NP camping

For camping in the National parks use the NPS map to locate the park and then it will give you all the booking info you need, as well as on visiting the parks.

Booked my flights today got a stop off in New York for 3 days as well im made up!
    Good news !