Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Moving Jersey to San Diego

I've been reading thru this forum for information on a road trip, so I thought I'd share:

My GF and I (and our cat) are moving from Jersey City to San Diego in April, and plan on taking a liesurely drive cross-country. It is the ideal road trip situation as we have no time constraints and a brand new CRV (although I think 3 weeks will probably be the max we can handle on the road).

Currently, our trip stops are planned as such:

Jersey City > Philly > pit stop at Frank Lloyd Wright's Fallingwater > Cleveland > Chicago > St. Louis > Kansas City > Denver > Grand Canyon > Las Vegas > San Diego

I think the longest leg is KC to Denver so we will probably have to stop short of Denver for the night.

We are more city people, with design backgrounds (i'm an architect, she a graphic designer) so we would love to hear about any cool buildings, museums, restaurants, etc, but also I don't want to disgregard the outdoors either, so any comments, suggestions, or ideas for outdoor stuff is welcome too.

also if anyone has any tips for traveling w/ a cat that would be helpful too (other than the obvious need for pet friendly hotels). =)

My brother went to Falling Water and he also visited another house designed by Frank Lloyd Wright right near there and raved about the other one too (I've been to Falling Water and I loved it too -- not the other one). I don't know the name or where it is, but it is in the Pittsburgh area and I think also open for tours. I know that Frank Lloyd Wright designed a synagogue in one of the suburbs just outside of Philadelphia, Elkins Park. I've never been there, but I've seen pictures and it looks pretty neat. There are a lot of art museums in Philadelphia -- one of the best is the Barnes, which is right outside the city. You need to reserve your ticket a few weeks ahead of time as they only allow a few hundred people in a day.

I've never been there, but I've heard good things about the Nelson Atkins Museum in Kansas City.

Some suggestions in some of the cities on your route:

Philly - what can I say? I'm sure you have been there.
    Chicago - if you like prime rib, dinner at Lawry's - it's in the old McCormick mansion.
    St. Louis - Gateway Arch and Museum of Westward Expansion, Old Court House across the street.
    Kansas City - Crown Center and Union Station.

KC to Denver is 600 miles, that shouldn't be a problem doing in 1 day, because frankly there's not a heck of a lot to do along I-70 in Kansas. However, the halfway point is Hays, which is the home to Fort Hays State University and a historic downtown.

It's the section between Denver and LV that will give you the breathtaking scenery. Examples:

Million Dollar Highway
    Arches
    Canyonlands
    Utah Scenic Highway 12
    Capitol Reef
    Bryce Canyon
    Zion
    Monument Valley

Default Middle ground.

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

All good suggestions so far, and with up to 3 weeks for your journey you will have plenty of opportunity to do some exploring ! I agree with glc that heading for Colorado through Utah and Arizona could be an amazing opportunity to see some of the best nature has to offer, plus some great little towns like Silverton and Durango on the "Million dollar highway." These places are also too far away from your new home for a "quick visit" so make the most of it while you can.

Have a good look around the forums and road trip planning pages where you will find tons of info and idea's.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by glc View Post
    Million Dollar Highway
    Arches
    Canyonlands
    Utah Scenic Highway 12
    Capitol Reef
    Bryce Canyon
    Zion
    Monument Valley
    These locations all look amazing. It looks like we will have to veer off of I70 after Denver to see some of these. The million dollar highway and monument valley have already been added to the trip for sure (altho the non-gaurdrail roads of the million dollar highway scare the ba-jeeezus out of me).

Default Nothing to fear.

(altho the non-gaurdrail roads of the million dollar highway scare the ba-jeeezus out of me).
    We recently drove the Million dollar highway in a 30ft RV without problems so you have nothing to fear, but the "Million dollar views" will keep you entertained !

A nice drive from Denver to Montrose [to begin the highway] would be 91 from I70 to Leadville [highest incorporated town in the US and some great buildings and history] and 24/285 past Twin lakes to Poncha springs and then West on US50 over the continental divide at Monarch pass and a drive through Currecanti National recreation area to the Black canyon of the Gunnison. You can find more info on that journey on page 1 of the link I gave you above, it's a shame that the Trail ridge road won't be open when you travel, but Loveland pass makes a great detour !
    Last edited by Southwest Dave; 01-19-2010 at 02:40 AM. Reason: Brain not engaged.

In the interests of accuracy, you go WEST on 50 at Poncha Springs.

Dave. Thanks glc, my brain was clearly not firing on all four cylinders, I have edited to save confusion]
    Last edited by Southwest Dave; 01-19-2010 at 02:42 AM. Reason: Update.

Default Leadville- YES

By all means go up and over Tennessee Pass between I-70 at Minturn and Leadville. Just on the north side of the pass is the valley in which Camp Hale was located during WWII. At Camp Hale, the newly formed 10th Mountain Division did much of their ski training. Following their deployment in the European Theater, various members returned to the US and were instrumental in the formation of the recreational skiing industry in the West, particularly in Colorado.

Foy

9. Default St Louis>KC>Denver

The St Louis to KC leg of your trip is a very quick 4.5 hours of easy road. I would probably suggest St. Louis to Salina or Hays, KS, then on to Denver. Hays has a great museum with animontronic dinosaurs and the famous "fish within a fish" fossil. I find the drive across KS very beautiful but there is little variety once you leave Hays until you get within shouting distance of Goodland. When you leave Salina going toward Hays have your camera ready and stop and get a great picture at the wind farm adjacent to the interstate near Ellsworth. We always make a game of who can first spot the mountains as we approach Denver. Start looking as soon as you pass Limon, CO. If the sky is clear you get a beautiful mountainscape to welcome you to Denver.

10. Default

So our trip is quickly approaching so I thought I'd update the thread w/ a new query. After Denver, we have a few options that we are interested in taking and I thought I'd see what peoples opinions are:

Option 1: Denver > Million Dollar Highway > Monument Valley > Flagstaff/Grand Canyon

Lots of local roads and mountains in this route, is weather a concern mid April?

Option 2a: Denver > Colorado Springs > Santa Fe > Flagstaff/Grand Canyon

More highways/cities but is this route as scenic?

Option 2b: Denver > Colorado Springs > Santa Fe > Monument Valley > Flagstaff/Grand Canyon

I'm big on the Monument valley as you can see...