Default GA/TN road trip - any suggestions?

Me and my girlfriend are planning to take the following road-trip in a few days. We plan to fly from New York to Nashville, rent a car there, and then drive to Memphis, Birmingham, Atlanta, Chattanooga, and then return back to Nashville. We plan to do it all in about 5 days, so that we can spend enough time in each of these cities, and don't have to drive for more than 4-5 hours a day.

Do you think it is a reasonable plan? Does anybody have any other suggestions about some other potential stops on the way or not too far off this route? Maybe we should also visit Louisville, KY? Or Knoxville, TN? Any other practical information you can give us? We would greatly appreciate any advice, as it will be our first road-trip.

Thanks!

Before adding Knoxville or anything in that direction, be aware that I-40 is closed at the NC-TN state line.

Default Probably not an issue?

Quote Originally Posted by glc View Post
    Before adding Knoxville or anything in that direction, be aware that I-40 is closed at the NC-TN state line.
    Hello adant,

Our colleague glc is of course absolutely correct that I-40 is closed at the NC-TN line and for a good 20 more miles into NC. The rockslide which closed it isn't expected to be cleared until late Feb/early March.

But, if your sequence of cities remains as stated, you'd have no reason to venture E-SE of Knoxville to the closed area, likely instead coming up I-75 from Chattanooga to Knoxville. In short, you'd remain on the west side of the
    Blue Ridge and Smokies except for dipping over to the east side at Atlanta. Leaving Atlanta bound for Chattanooga, you'd cross back over to the west side soon after leaving, and there you would remain for the balance of your trip.

Foy

Thank you very much for this information!

Couple more questions. Are there any other small places/towns/villages which we should not miss on this trip? And one more: do you think it is better to book hotels online before the trip, or it will be possible to find some cheap places to stay when we are there already?