1. Default Georgia to California with teenagers

I'm excited to have found this forum! We're planning our next summer road trip, but it's a little longer than our previous ones, so I'm looking for some advice.

Ever since our kids were five, we've done a roughly three-week road trip, half camping and half at inexpensive motels. We've been from Georgia to Colorado/Yellowstone, Glacier/Yellowstone, SW Colorado/New Mexico, and several east coast destinations like West Virginia, Maine and upstate New York. My husband is an avid flyfisherman, so we're often heading to places to find trout.

This year we'd like to get to California, but when you look at the map, it's another third of the continent farther than Yellowstone. Three weeks is about my maximum to be away from home. We usually do serious driving the first 2-3 days (800 miles per day) to get some distance behind us, and then we don't quite press it as hard. I don't like to set the tents up just for one night, and three is really my preference. I'd love to hear other people's ideas on this distance with my time limitations.

Also, I'm wondering what experiences people have had with southern Utah or going across the middle of Nevada. We're thinking about going to Arches National Park (a child's request), then the northern rim of Grand Canyon, up to Yosemite, then back across to Colorado. Nevada looks so desolate. Our kids (triplet boys) will be 14 by then, so if anyone has some fun ideas for them, I'd love to hear them as well.

Nancy

Default How many ?

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

Your distance to travel with the time you have is OK but I don't think you will get too many that agree with your approach to it. Driving 800 miles in a day is quite a challenge but doing it for 3 day's on the trot is crazy in the best of circumstance, but with triplets !!! [Lol] You are going to be tired and cranky at best after that so my first suggestion would be to slow down and take a more manageable approach, we usually recommend no more than 500-600 miles a day on multi day road trips. That gives you time to eat, go to the bathroom, fill with gas and stretch your legs and will see you on the road for 9 or 10 hours.

Southern Utah is a wonderful place, where along with Arches NP there is Zion, Bryce canyon and Capitol reef to name a few more options. From Yosemite you could head across Death valley towards Vegas and then up to Zion and so on. On the way out there if you were to take I40 [and slow down a little ;-)] you could visit the Grand canyon South rim amongst other options.

Doing such a loop, I would estimate to be over 5000 miles [depending on start point] and say 10 days of driving which would leave you 11 days of exploring and fishing.

Get the map out, draw up a rough itinerary and what stops you want to make and when you have some dots on the map, let us know and we might be able to make some suggestions. Include the kid's and their thoughts in the planning and they will enjoy the trip even more.

Enjoy the planning !